Swans

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Swans

Postby Quakerattacker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:10 pm

I know you need a tag to hunt swans, but was wondering how hard are they to hunt? Field or marsh, do they set on potholes or larger bodies of water. How many decoys do you need. Are they in all parts of the state? Any info would be great. Thanks
Quakerattacker
hunter

Re: Swans

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 pm

They can pretty much be found anywhere. They USUALLY tend to be on smaller to medium size ponds.

If I want to decoy them a couple snow goose floaters always does the trick.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Quakerattacker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Do they show up early in the season or later? Like when Snows are migrating?
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm

USUALLY they don't show up until it's starts getting COLD.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Quakerattacker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I suppose since I live in Kansas and you live up north COLD = you have to be dumb, stupid, an idiot or "why the hell am I out here doing this? Oh ya I love this stuff" kind of weather. The reasons I ask I am planning a trip next year and trying to figure out when to make the trip and of course all depends on the weather and well people with PHD's cannot predict so how are we suppose to. Sounds like your telling me pick a decent looking spot and make it later. Was hoping to do it earlier so that we wouldn't have to worry so much about the deer season. Thanks for the info.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby Griebler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 pm

We go to ND every year and I just got my swan tag. We usually see them on the banks of big water while just driving around and scouting (we do a bunch of it). We don't really use decoys for them. We saw some last year in early october.
There is never a wrong time to do the right thing

sprigs4days wrote:
Saltwater_Assassin wrote:
Now regarding the two ducks, The taxidermist would get mounted if he would bring my birds back to me looking like that.

Would that be a frontal mount or a rear mount.
Griebler
hunter

Postby layoutchase » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

You'll think I'm crazy, but in North Carolina we shoot them over white garbage bags. We also mouth call to them...you can buy a call, but they aren't as fun. They aren't especially weary and they usually begin to arrive here around early November with the peak wintering population getting here around December 10. I'd think you'd have your best migration in mid to late October. Winter Wheat fields are the best place to find them here...good luck shooting one and good luck eating one...
It's mine...and full off errors and lies. Check it out, though!
http://northcarolinaduckhunting.blogspot.com/
layoutchase
hunter

Postby Yonkers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:17 am

We got ours last year the last week of October, happen to fly over low when we were not hunting specifically for swans. A few of us this year in our group have tags again and we will be out the first week and a half of november.
Yonkers
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 am

Seen 3 flocks of swans last weekend already...
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting