ND 2012 Non Resident Duck Hunt

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

ND 2012 Non Resident Duck Hunt

Postby mksmith1013 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 am

My friend and I are looking to head up to ND from South Carolina to duck hunt sometime this October. I have heard several stories from people who drove up there, scouted birds, and had great hunts. I am just not sure how easy it really would be. It might be that easy, but I would hate to get all the way up there and find it to be much more of hassle than that. I am from Texas and hunting public land in Texas and LA, unless it's the coast, can be a hassle due to the idiots and crowds. I have heard in North Dakota the waterfowl hunting on public/private land is much easier b/c of the amount of land, not as many hunters, and landowners allowing people to hunt on their property. I found a PLOT Map that shows land that is available to hunt. I just saw it last night, so I haven't done too much research on it.

http://gf.nd.gov/hunting/private-land-open-sportsmen

I am looking for any useful information regarding duck hunting this October. We were considering getting guide this year for a 3 day hunt, get a feel for the area, then hunt a few days on our own. But it just seemed too expensive and not necessary. Our current plan is to drive up to Bottineau and hunt in that area. We are going to try to find land to hunt via the plot map and scout it out. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or piss anyone off. All we want to do is have a great hunt, and respect the landowners while doing so. Any information you provide would be great. Not sure if it would be easier or not, but feel free to call me if would be easier than typing out a long email.
Thanks,
Mike
713-569-7656
mksmith1013
Newb

Re: ND 2012 Non Resident Duck Hunt

Postby slough » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:35 pm

It's probably not as easy as some make it out to be, but you'll probably shoot plenty of birds if you spend some time scouting. A lot depends on the weather that time of year. If it's been warm with no fronts to push new birds down it can be slow...no way of predicting. There are a lot of previous topics with questions just like yours, it may be in your best interest to read them.
slough
hunter

Re: ND 2012 Non Resident Duck Hunt

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I grew up hunting Bottineau...just scout near the refuges and I'm sure you'll find birds.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting