Timing: camping and local birds

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Timing: camping and local birds

Postby gvegas88 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Some background:

I left eastern NC a week ago and have been slowly making the trek to ND. Doing a lot of mountain biking, hiking and camping along the way. Ultimate reason for the trip was to shoot some ducks in ND and meet up with family for annual pheasant hunt in SW ND for the pheasant opener.

Now my plan is to head up to Minot near the beginning of October and pitch a tent with the dog and hope it doesn't get too cold to sleep outside. I'm pretty flexible, but can't afford a hotel every night if it gets real cold so thats why I'm thinking about starting early. I'm starting to think too that it would take a very cold blast to push any ducks down from up North that early but I don't know. Would I be hunting mostly local birds that nested there all summer and are there very many of these locals? Too cold to camp?

-T
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Re: Timing: camping and local birds

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Gve,
We were there last year for the first week of October and the weather was awesome for camping but horrible for hunting. Stayed in the 70-80s the whole week but gets pretty chilly at nite. Expect to shoot only local birds not in fall plumage yet. Hope this helped! Were an hour south of Minot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:46 pm

I'll be up there at that time. I have a house in that area...you could crash there is you're freezing your azz off.

You should be hunting mostly local ducks.....however, it has been VERY COLD here lately. Right now we're getting hit with heavy NW winds. You never know, we could have a decent little migration by then. We already have a lot of cranes and even some lessers already.

Chris
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby gvegas88 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for the help guys!
Tyler
gvegas88
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting