Duck Chat Always Helpful

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Duck Chat Always Helpful

Postby Percman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am

As an annual non-resident waterfowl hunter to the great State of ND (and new to this board, but a long-time follower), just want to say thanks to all the great tips and advice provided by our friends and brotherhood (and sisters) in waterfowling. I will be making my annual trip Oct. 21-29 with two other long-time waterfowl hunters. We love the Rugby/Balta area, and have made quite a few friends in the area. Recently spoke to one of the farmers whose property we hunt and he said water is fine, but duck and geese numbers are down. No doubt a combination of drought and warm weather, despite some snow and late fall storms to the north. So, we'll be prepared to do more field hunting, than on the water. One question: Are y'all seeing an increasing number of birds each day, or are they really slow in arriving?
Percman
hunter

Re: Duck Chat Always Helpful

Postby likesbigspreads » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:32 pm

The only water we are seeing is the big water. Completley opposite from last year. Any ducks that are here are coming off the river and following snows. We are struggling right now, got here Thursday when the weather was right and did well, the last 3 days has been sunny and not much wind. Hopefully with the weather changing, our luck will change too. There are a whole bunch of snows both north and south of us. Feeding in am and pm in wheat.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Percman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks for the feedback. Interestingly, two years ago we hunted north and west of Rugby and the birds were plentiful. Last year, there was nary a bird in that area so we concentrated east and west of Balta. We love putting miles on the truck in our scouting efforts because that is half the fun. I just wanted to get a sense or feel for how many birds are around the area. Good luck hunting.
Percman
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:51 am

Hopefully you will have a better trip than we have. At about 2am on the ride up here we broke a leaf spring on my trailer. Had to rip the wheel well off to move the trailer. That was a $267 bill. This morning we woke up and had a flat. Got to our spot and there was already a trailer there. Never have seen anyone in this area, but there are trucks and trailers are everywhere. I think Zinks crew was up here too.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Percman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am

My fear is the concentrated birds and limited spots due to drought has hunters hitting spots that we, too, did not see last year. We arrive on Sunday for a week. Are you in the area now? What's the weather like? Seeing more birds with the wind and rain?
Percman
hunter

Postby mudbugs46 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:33 pm

will arrive in Medina the 20th -unless I wreck - plan to hunt East of Chase Lake between Woolworth and Median -
anybody hunted that area before - Only hunted around Montpelier in past - will field hunt only - nobody with me so if I got stuck in the mud I would be SOL

This will be an expensive solo hunt trip - hope next year to have trained dogs and 3 buddies - we will see - but at 66 you got
to go while your able -

hope weather pushes new birds down - buddies just got back from Minnedosa CA - did OK but not nearly as good as in past yrs.
warm weather - and dry conditions

If nothing else maybe a pheasant will run out infront of my car

good luck from Mudbugs
mudbugs46
Newb

Postby likesbigspreads » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 am

Percman wrote:My fear is the concentrated birds and limited spots due to drought has hunters hitting spots that we, too, did not see last year. We arrive on Sunday for a week. Are you in the area now? What's the weather like? Seeing more birds with the wind and rain?

Just returned this morning, actually happy to be home. Wednesday was great, but with the weather was the major factor. Lots of snow and lots of dumb pinnies, dont know if any new ones have moved in lately.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting