Coming for ducks but i may be to late

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Coming for ducks but i may be to late

Postby bflow08 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 am

Well ND im coming for ducks and geese next friday the 9st to ashley, been keeping up on the migration reports and weather.. looks like lows in the single digits and highs in the mid 30's with sunshine. i figure no small pothole will be unfrozen, and i refuse to hunt the big water and roost, so im breing the field spread. I think im gonna be a week or so late and its gonna be to coooooold, either way ill be off work and in a awesome place to relax and enjoy the prairies, what do you all think you guys know more then anyone, you all live there, too late?
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Re: Coming for ducks but i may be to late

Postby slough » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Probably not too late but do you know the 9th is opener of deer season in ND? Unless you already have land lined up, getting on fields is generally not easy at that time.
slough
hunter

Postby marktank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:32 pm

i all ready been out there for a week and i go back for another week starting the 9th. you are not to late at all. potholes were glazed over when i left but will open up this week with wind and temps in 40s. the best time to hunt out there is when your going. you find a field with mallards all over it you will be fine. they will come back the next day. most land is posted for deer season, but usually most farmers will still let you hunt they just don't want deer hunters shooting a big buck on there land and could care less if someone duck hunts it. good luck. last year i went out and broke ice is some small holes and they would see it from the air and come right in, so i would try that, only put out dozen deeks and two mojos and was good to go.
marktank
hunter

Postby bflow08 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 am

Sweet thanks guys
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Just got back and you won't be too late. Birds just starting to show up in big numbers. Found most of our birds North and East of that area. Lots of geese around but had to look a little harder to find the mallards. If you want specifics of where we were PM me. I'm not going back so don't mind tellin ya where we were finding our birds. Good luck and stay safe.
Ducks22
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting