ND hunt

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

ND hunt

Postby Ztmduckhunter3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 am

3 buddies and I are looking to head out next year, going to free lance, was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on when to come, where to hunt, public land, getting permission, ect
Any help would be great. Thanks
Ztmduckhunter3
hunter

Re: ND hunt

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

Most of the state has ducks - it's like throwing a dart on where to start.

Normally you can find ducks from opener into early November - after that it's going to be a lot of scouting and I mean a lot.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Ztmduckhunter3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks, we were going to come in December. Would it be worth it.
Ztmduckhunter3
hunter

Postby recker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 am

December is probably too late as most will be froze. Nobody is going to give you specific locations or areas on here though. The internet is what ruined ND as a freelance state and now most land is posted. When I go I have certain areas I visit that have less hunters soo I get better success on getting permission to hunt.
recker
hunter

Postby slcduckkilla » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm

We free lanced ND this year and had a great time. It was a lot of scouting and asking for permission for the most part land owners were receptive and allowed us to hunt. We did not have one negative response we were turned away on a couple fields as the field was leased or promised to someone prior to our arrival. I would say we accessed 80% of the land we asked to hunt. Seemed people didn't care much about the waterfowl but didn't want us messing with their roosters....
slcduckkilla
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Myself and a couple buddies also hunted North Dakota this year. We had some really good shoots. I personally shot a lot of firsts. I shot my first drake Gadwall, first 2 drake widgeon, first black duck, and my first Aleutian Cackler. But we had nothing but trouble trying to find property to hunt. We received permission to hunt one field...that's it...only one. For some reason the farmers and land owners really didn't want anyone touching their property. They kind of forced our hand at hunting water, which they don't want you to do. But anyway...still had an awesome time!!!! I am going to be making the drive again next year also.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Some advice, don't go out there during deer season. A good number of farmers are deer hunters leaving less chances of getting field permission.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby ThePro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 am

I have been hunting nd for 11 yrs one of the reason people don't give permmision is deer season - most land owners out there deer hunt - however a nother reason is people r stupid a few dumb asses kill it for everyone - for what duck goose hunters go there there are always that group in your area that shoot roosts not loafing sloughs and try to burn fields by pass shooting and hunting the same field as someone else by setting up in the other end of the field so if you go don't be one of these guys respect the land and the farmers and you will get permission
ThePro
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting