New here

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

New here

Postby fowlsensations » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey guys, im migrated over from the NC hunting forum because some buddies and I plan on making the trip north next year to do some duck hunting. I was just wondering if any of you guys could message me and give me the Ins and Outs of ND duck hunting, dos and donts. I know NC hunters carry a bad rap because they are inconsiderate when it comes to spots and hunter etiquette, but i can assure you thats not how we operate. We plan on doing a guided hunt for a day or two then going out on our own and trying a couple free lance hunts. Any help would be appreciated via PM as in guides to look at, what region to hunt, specific laws that are different from other places. Thanks guys and God bless
fowlsensations
hunter

Re: New here

Postby Underradar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 pm

So, your plan is for the guide to show you where the ducks are then you will come back and hunt there or nearby? Do you see anything wrong with that? Why don't you just bring a $1,000 gas card and do your own scouting?

I think they should turn you over to the Indians for a good old fashioned scalping.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby fowlsensations » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 am

no but thanks for your comment.

we are hunting with a guide the first couple days, then going around and scouting and doing things on our own.

Keep the scapling for your damn self.
fowlsensations
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Why hire a guide for the whole time? I don't see the point of going half and half....kind of unusual.

UR is right though...scouting is everything.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 am

Chris Hustad wrote:Why hire a guide for the whole time? I don't see the point of going half and half....kind of unusual.

UR is right though...scouting is everything.

did you leave a word out ????

he said he is only hiring a guide ofr PART of the time..

are you suggesting he just hire the guide for the whole trip?

if the guide has an opening on the extra days.

I like the idea of part guided hunt part just drive around and see what you can find. It assures SOME action, at least more than you probably get if freelances 100%, then you save some money and go look around.

i went three years in a row. all freelance, but with a local transplant from the east who had been there for a few years already...even the days where we set up easy on a gadwal pond, got some shooting, then spent the rest of the day driving around and or pheasant hunting state land. it was a blast. walking miles hunting sharptails!!!

even back then the non res laws were changing so often....it was hard to make a planned trip, where you could upland hunt and waterfowl hunt.

there certainly was a lot of turmoil back then:

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 am

Don't get a guide. Waste of money. If your in the right area you can find ducks really easily. I mean like every pond has 30 ducks in it and you just look for the pond with a couple hundred in it. What we did is we found a big pond that we knew would have some water and went there the first morning shot a couple ducks and that was it. Scouted that afternoon and then limited out on a 1 acre pond the next 4 days in a row. We hunted a field the last day and had ducks finishing with 2 moos and 18 storefront mallards held up by the stalks.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting