A couple questions... some input?

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

A couple questions... some input?

Postby redshot27 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Hey everyone, my father and I have been coming to ND for a couple years now. We always have come late oct into early nov. So probably the last week of oct.

This year we were discussing coming a week earlier.. however I don't want to lose out on major migration due to coming to early. All I have read was as long as you're near the end of october there really is nothing to worry about. We stay out in Wishek every year and have a blast.

I was just looking for opinions on it, would it all be local ducks? or is that a buncha bs? I know the weather can push more or less of them down but I figured here would be a great place to ask. We have a couple other family members going with us this time so any help is greatly appreciated.
redshot27
Newb

Re: A couple questions... some input?

Postby slough » Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 am

What would be your reasoning for coming a week earlier?

Tough to say which is better, it really all depends on weather. Could be really good, could be really slow, just as the late Oct.-early Nov week could be.
slough
hunter

Postby redshot27 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Well honestly, thinking about it more. Later would probably be better but the reason for thinking of the change to answer your question is more or less about the dogs.

Our shorthair gave his all the first day (it was an all day ordeal of water retrieves, and he wasn't going to stop) however even after dragging him back to the house he was acting lethargic, and the neopreme suit we had on him (because it was to loose), took away all his hair etc and well he had to rest a couple days. We couldn't keep him warm enough.

It's more or less to take care of the dogs, if it was a little nicer out it's obviously easier on them however that doesn't exactly work as far as weather and ducks now does it. =) I think we may have come up with some ideas to keep them warmer longer in between retrieves. Plus I would like to do field hunting this year.

So all in all it's just I am concerned for the dogs, I couldnt care less if I can't feel my body as long as I have ducks flying around me.
redshot27
Newb

Postby slough » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am

In all honesty, coming a week earlier isn't going to help your dogs much, if any. Sure the average temp is probably a couple degrees higher but no more than that. The water is very cold past early October and a week earlier is unlikely to give you much warmer water or weather. You are about just as likely to run into snow/freezing sloughs at either time. The only reason I would come earlier is to stay away from deer season where it's tougher to get on land. I would say better ways of worrying about your dogs would be:

Keep retrieves short
Rotate dogs in and out - as you said they won't want to stop but you make the decision. Just like pheasant hunting my lab when it's 70. He'd kill himself before he'd quit.
Don't use them on cold days
Get a lab or other retriever built to handle it.
slough
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting