Going out in end of oct

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Going out in end of oct

Postby kevy135 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:10 am

Hey guys I'm a out of stater and I know nodak guys are not found of us but I'm very respectable to the land and not hunting the roost... I am coming out last week of oct next year. We will be staying in valley city hunting east of devils lake just wondering what I will be expecting? Is it more field or small slough hunting? Is it over populated with hunters? I've looked at plot maps and they seem like it will be good hunting! Just wondering what to expect. Couple years ago I was in the Ashley area and we had a good time everyone there was very nice and farmers didnt mind hunting on there land hopefully it's the same still and others didnt ruin it! Thanks
kevy135
hunter

Re: Going out in end of oct

Postby Old Hunter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Kevy135 -Your impression of us residents is misconstruged. We do not hate nonresidents. We hate guiding operations and nonresidents that tie up the land so nice guys like you and me have no place to hunt. You have no idea how hard us residents have worked to keep this state the last place open to Joe (the blue coller worker)and his kids afforable to hunt. If you would like some some help PM me.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby goosehunter4ever » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Old Hunter! Thats what I like to hear, and I appreciate you and the fellow sportsmen of your state keeping it a "freelance" state if you will... Because my buddies and I are coming out there this season for our first time and we are super excited! we've done over a year of research and we are sure hoping it pays off!
goosehunter4ever
hunter

Postby qckaddct » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:51 am

Oldhunter-Good to hear. We've rented a place in Lehr, ND for the girlfriend, son, and myself and we can't wait!
qckaddct
hunter

Postby Raves24 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:29 pm

qckaddct-

When you you guys going to Lehr? We are also going to Lehr. This is our third time to ND. First time to Lehr. If you are going out before us we would love an update on birds if you wouldn't mind! Thanks.
Raves24
hunter

Postby qckaddct » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Raves24-We'll be out there 10/23-27.
qckaddct
hunter

Postby Raves24 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:26 pm

qckaddct wrote:Raves24-We'll be out there 10/23-27.

Well...see ya out there..we will be in Lehr from 10/21-10/27! :hi: Good luck!
Raves24
hunter

Postby TooheyBirdie14 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am

Hey All,

North Dakota born, resident of Florida now, but I love to see this type of posting. This will be my second year of waterfowling and my first year having the opportunity to hunt the prairie pothole region. A few friends and myself will be driving up October 26 and 27th and will be hunting mostly around the Hankinson area. I just wanted to comment that I really appreciate the sentiment expressed by OldHunter on this post and its a big reason why I'm so excited for this hunt. I believe that is the mind-set of most true outdoorsmen, being open to other hunters as long as those hunters respect the resources, the local code of ethics, and most of all the game they pursue.

Same type of feeling we have here in Florida but more geared towards fishing obviously.. but it's the same idea. I love taking new people out spearfishing but there's nothing that chafes me more than a dive charter dropping 10 groups of divers all around us and ruining the dive.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on how refreshing it was to read through this good natured thread. I'm stoked for this hunt and I can't wait to see North Dakota in October... it's been a while.
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff....
TooheyBirdie14
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:13 pm

guess i'll join in the fun too :thumbsup: I will be roadtripping out from VA with my best friend Oct 26th thru the 3rd. I too would llike to say everyone could learn from Old Hunter's attitude. Wish there were more like you. VA has become a place to hunt if you are rich or have blinds sewing up the few honey holes in the state. Thank you for what you do to keep it accessible to joe blow average guys and gals. I'll be in Goodrich the first half and Jamestown second half.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby tbossart » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am

Old Hunter's attitude is that of pretty much evereyone I hunt with. Born and raised in ND, hunted for 39 years and counting. Every year some one trys to pass legislation to clsoe the land down and every year that bill gets shut down. We up here absolutley appreciate the fact that all land is open to public hunting unless posted. Our land owners are for the majority, approachable and generous, all you have to do is ask. He is also corect that we dont mind NR hunters at all, given that they are respectful and treat the land as if they owned it. All it takes is one idiot to leave a fence down and let out a guys cattle to really ruin a land owners attitude. I personally have worked damn hard for many years to develope relationships with my land owners. I have been to baptisms , graduations, weddings, and funerals all across ND due to relationships I have built over a lota years with those people. So please, if you can be respectufl and courteous, come here have a great time hunting and come back, we love to have ya. Guides can go away unless the guide off the land they own. Nothing worse than sections of land posted up and unhunted for the entire season...total waste.
tbossart
hunter

Postby goosehunter4ever » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! we are looking forward to our first trip out there we will be there October 18th! til the 27th... We will be down in Ashley! Looking forward to meeting all the nice folks of ND!
goosehunter4ever
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting