Suggestions? Father's 60th and I want to take him out to ND

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Suggestions? Father's 60th and I want to take him out to ND

Postby Klutch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:56 am

Any suggestions where to hunt or what guide to help out?

Please email me at

Stevenodavis@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Steve
SH Archery
Dealer for Bowtech, PSE, Elite, Obsession, New Breed and Diamond
Klutch
hunter

Re: Suggestions? Father's 60th and I want to take him out t

Postby slough » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Guides are frowned upon in order to maintain ND as the last great freelance state. It's unlikely that anyone is going to just tell you where to go, but research through different internet forums and google earth you'll probably get a good idea. You'll probably see Devils Lake mentioned a bunch, definitely lots of birds but the most hunters and posted land too. I wouldn't really recommend a first time trip there. Most of the state is pretty good east of the missouri river and west of the Minnesota border 40-50 miles. Save a bunch of money and just pick a place, research, and have fun. It is very fun and rewarding exploring the prairie on your own, definitely not always easy, but I think it's a lot more fun than just being led to a field. Plus, you won't have much else to do while you're here so you might as well explore.
slough
hunter

Re: Suggestions? Father's 60th and I want to take him out t

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:25 am

A bag or two of mallard decoys, a good dog and a good map is all you need. You might not kill a limit of all green but you'll have fun and it's much more rewarding to find them yourself. I would get a PLAT map and another good map. I would also stay 50 miles plus away from the big towns like Fargo, DL, etc.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting