Looking For Waterfowl Land For Sale

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Looking For Waterfowl Land For Sale

Postby drbell » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:03 pm

I am trying to find some acres of good waterfowl land for sale, went to college in minot and absolutely loved it, im a duck hunter 4 life, its a passion, im not sure where to look for land, anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
drbell
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Just curious if it's for your guiding or personal?
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

most definitely personal

Postby drbell » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:47 am

i am just looking for a few acres for myself kind of like my once a year vacation for my self duck hunt, i love it out there and would love to own some great duck/goose hunting property
drbell
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:08 pm

Well the situation is 2-fold:

1) Most people don't buy a small piece of property for duck hunting. It will be dry many years and during wet years you don't want to be limited to just your piece....action will be found while scouting.

2) If you outbid the locals for your recreation land that they consider the need for farming land, there's a good chance you'll offend all area farmers. That will cripple your ability to get on neighboring land.

Land does come up for sale, mostly found in local classifieds however.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby DangleCity » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:41 am

great post chris....
Whistlers on the deck!
DangleCity
hunter

Postby h2oski » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:11 am

well said Chris.

#2 occurred down in the Lehr area when I used to work down there. I believe the guy was a Dr. in Ohio. He outbid a 24 yr old trying to save his family farm. He needed that 320 acres to really make things jive on his income level. Afterwards he asked if he could at least rent the land. Dr. said "no" and put it into grasslands/CRP.

The locals shunned him when he showed up to hunt. When ducks/pheasants weren't on his land he couldn't get permission to hunt anywhere else. Everyone around him posted their property which they didn't do prior to that (which was everyone's loss then).

On top of that they made his life *ell. Anytime a noxious weed was spotted on the property, the local farmers ratted him out to the weed board. He eventually put the property up for sale.

My uncle had the same idea you had. He bought 160 acres of CRP in central ND. Figured it was a good investment and he wanted a place to shoot a deer every year. He didn't realize it was infested with Canadian thistle and leafy spurge. He was spending $3000-4000 each year to control his noxious weeds (there are 11 listed on the state noxious weed list and the law states you have to maintain annual control of these weeds with an eradication plan).

There is alot more to owning land than people think. My wife has 450 acres 45 miles from us. I am amazed at how much time we have to spend there working. There is always something that needs to be done (I am still cleaning up after the wind storm last July and I dropped $1000 on a new sprayer to control a small patch of wormwood we have on the property).
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting