A few questions on guides

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

A few questions on guides

Postby Joelb58 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the basic questions. I have read about the great duck hunting in North Dakota and am interested in making a trip out to visit this year. I would make my trip Oct 10-14.

Should I expect good duck/goose hunting this time of year? Worthy of a cross country trip (I live in New York).

Also, would you mind suggesting any guides in the area? Thanks.

Joe
Joelb58
hunter

Re: A few questions on guides

Postby Raves24 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 pm

The time of the year you have chosen should be fine. It mostly depends on weather there, so it is pretty much if you get lucky with some cold fronts. As far as guides, no one on here will help you with that. ND is one of the last freelance states in the country. They would like to keep it that way, so guides are frowned upon there. It is not to hard to hunt...scout..scout...scout..shoot birds....scout some more. Going on year threee and no guide needed. Its better that way, trust me. Good luck!
Raves24
hunter

Postby Joelb58 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Raves24 wrote:The time of the year you have chosen should be fine. It mostly depends on weather there, so it is pretty much if you get lucky with some cold fronts. As far as guides, no one on here will help you with that. ND is one of the last freelance states in the country. They would like to keep it that way, so guides are frowned upon there. It is not to hard to hunt...scout..scout...scout..shoot birds....scout some more. Going on year threee and no guide needed. Its better that way, trust me. Good luck!

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I think I will need a guide since I will be flying across the country without any decoys and have just 3-4 days. If anyone would care to push me in the direction of a decent outfitter, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Joelb58
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Never hunted with them but have seen them when I am there, look up Top Gun Guide Service. You can rent trailers full of decoys up there too and maybe consider that an option. Extremely easy freelance hunting state, if you don't get birds you shouldn't be there.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby qckaddct » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Joelb58 wrote:Hello,
Also, would you mind suggesting any guides in the area? Thanks.

Joe

"OH NO, YOU DI'ANT'!!!" :fingerpt:
qckaddct
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 pm

I would do the freelance guide. Going with guides isnt my cup of tea. Done it a few times and much prefer to do it on my own. You can get stuck in a field with six other guys all blasting at the same time at the same few birds. To me that is not fun.
recker
hunter

Postby gunner343 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:30 pm

I've been hunting ND for 20+ years, and guides and outfitters are not popular with the freelancers. No guide is necessary. If you already know where you are going to stay just pack some decoys and ship them by UPS. Just let the hotel know you are expecting a shipment. Or just go buy some decoys while you are there and ship them home when you leave. You can never have too many decoys. As a tip, snow goose hunting will be a bust at that time- Too early. and don't let any guide or outfitter tell you different. You will be able to get by with a dozen duck decoys and a roboduck, an inner-tube and a camo cover also works great on the small water and doesn't take up much room. Just let the air out. lol

Bill
gunner343
Newb

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting