Hunt for next year

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Hunt for next year

Postby duckaholic_16p » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:21 pm

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me find a place to duck hunt next year. We are looking for an unguided hunt and for mostly ducks and geese. We are prepared to hunt any kinda water or fields. Thanks for any help.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:59 pm

Honestly, that's a pretty tough question to ask. You could get a wide range of answers.

Here is the duck distribution in the state:

The bird numbers and pressure change from year to year, so I suggest getting an understanding of the zones, stay mobile, and look into lodging around your area of choice.

In other words, you could throw a dart at the map and have just about the same results no matter where it lands.

Good luck!
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby R_B_BURG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:59 am

I too am planning a trip in October 2005 from Ohio. Looks like we are coming with about 6-8 guys. A few of them have hunted the area around Napoleon, ND. Looks like this is the area we will be hunting in 2005.

I'm looking for any information there you might have. I've been to the wildlife web site.

I'd like to include some pheasant hunting also. Do you have any info. to assist me?

Thanks for any info.
R_B_BURG
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:08 pm

The Napoleon area seems to get drier every year so the local numbers aren't what they used to be. That doesn't mean it doesn't hold migrants, however.

Pheasants are in the same boat as ducks, depending on the winter and spring will determine which areas are good so it's too early to tell.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby R_B_BURG » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:10 am

Chris, Thanks for the reply. I just recently stumbled onto this sight and seem to check it daily now. A lot of good info. on here. We chose the Napoleon area since a few of my buddies were out there about two years ago. They too said it had been drying up over the three years they had went there. Now they haven't been there in two years.

I see the map you've posted in this thread. What would you say is the "hot spot" right now? I'm trying to get as much information as I can to help in making this a successful hunting trip. And being your own guide can sometimes be tough without some help from the locals. :help:

Thanks.
R_B_BURG
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:06 pm

Still too early to tell. The key is to watch the snow maps late this winter to see who has the most snow, and who gets the most rain in the spring. Ducks will concentrate more in these areas that are wetter. Works like clockwork every year.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby R_B_BURG » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 pm

I hear ya. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on those factors. And I'll probably come back to this sight to pick your brain some more.

Thanks again.
Ryan
R_B_BURG
hunter

Postby Decoyer » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:14 am

Seems that people hunting that area are consistantly going north to find birds. If you draw a line from Steele to Ellendale, it is about as dry as a popcorn fart if you got anywhere within 50 miles of that line. There is still some decent hunting, but nothing like it was a few years ago when there was water.
Decoyer
hunter

Postby R_B_BURG » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:47 pm

Decoyer, In your opinion, how far north is good? It's 18 hrs from Ohio, where do you think is a good area to waterfowl hunt? I'd like to throw in some pheasant hunting too.

Thanks for the info.

Ryan
R_B_BURG
hunter

Postby CatManJack » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:47 pm

R B Burg

The Courtney area is usually pretty strong for birds. There is usually plenty of water in that area.
CatManJack
Newb

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting