Lord forgive me, for I have sinned...

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Lord forgive me, for I have sinned...

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 pm

The subject is a bit melodramatic, but the more I have researched the more I believe we could have done this on our own. Got a hunting trip in Brocket later this year, late Oct/beginning Nov. Hunting with a few older guys who don't get around as well as they used to so we went with a guide.

I know, I know...but not having been to ND, it made sense for this group at the time. But having read the forums, done some more research, talked to a few guys, it appears freelance is the way to go and I now see the error of my ways (so to speak).

A few of us (not the old men) have decided to go early and put in the work, scout, hopefully get permission, and do some all-American hunting. I am not looking for places or tips or hints on where to hunt. However, for those that have done something like this before a "must have" list is what I need help with. We are looking to freelance 3-4 days before everyone else joins up.

here is what I have so far and this is at a minimum - feel free to hit me with feedback!

-gps
-phones and batteries
-2 way radio
-recovery straps, shovels, etc
-binoculars and range finder
-plot books, maps, etc (got a book that is a few years old from another guy who used to freelance in ND)
-extra diesel tanks (don't want to run out of fuel)
-assortment of decoys (FBs and floaters of all kinds) and hunting gear for various hunting situations
-enclosed trailer to haul it all around in
-sleeping bags (just in case)

I have a list for misc stuff and I am sure I am missing some things. Any help is appreciated. Layouts? 4wheeler?
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: Lord forgive me, for I have sinned...

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 am

SMcGarrity wrote:
I have a list for misc stuff and I am sure I am missing some things. Any help is appreciated. Layouts? 4wheeler?

If you have layouts and a wheeler, bring them. Also bring a grill.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:37 pm

layout and a 4wheeler...we can do it, but we would have to possibly leave some gear.

planned on loading 6x12 with the decoys, gear, etc. putting a 4wheeler in there really cuts down on space. maybe we can put the 4wheeler in the bed of the truck and build a rack to put the layout on top of the 6x12...sounds doable.

farmers generally ok with folks 4wheelin through their field? no one can predict the weather, but what are the chances its frozen up late Oct/early Nov?
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:19 pm

A few years back it wasn't frozen that early, but we did have a day where we had sun, rain, sleet, snow, and sun again all in 20 minutes time. It was like being back in Michigan.

Get an updated plots book. Things change....

I would also suggest a high lift style jack in your recovery kit. We nearly high centered in the midle of nowhere when the two track dropped out into mud with no visible warning.

And buy your licenses ahead of time online so you don't have someone in your group forget his hunter safety certificate at the house 45 miles away from the WalMart or wherever you have to go to buy licenses and have to make a double trip the night you arrive..... :mad: :thumbsup:
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

hi-lift, good call.

i will add it to the recovery/emergency kit. lights, tow straps, jumper cables, etc...binos, rangefinder, two way radios, back up batteries...the list is growing!

will definitely do the licenses ahead of time. already have our swan tags.

i will say that the NoDak Game and Fish website is very helpful. Ton of good info there!

Thanks!
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 pm

You are welcome. Good luck, be safe, and have fun. :thumbsup:
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby BlackFoot777 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Just a question to you folks up north. What is the best time to hunt waterfowl in north Dakota. Ducks, geese, don't matter food or water. Is it early october, or early November. Just wondering. By the way, if I go it will be the northern part of the state if that matters, in bottineau county. Just wondering what time is best, that all. Thank you very much.
BlackFoot777
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 pm

You doing NoDak? We are headed towards Antler for freelance. Then towards Brocket for the rest of the trip.

Lots of driving....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby slough » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:18 pm

BlackFoot777 wrote:Just a question to you folks up north. What is the best time to hunt waterfowl in north Dakota. Ducks, geese, don't matter food or water. Is it early october, or early November. Just wondering. By the way, if I go it will be the northern part of the state if that matters, in bottineau county. Just wondering what time is best, that all. Thank you very much.

This question gets asked a lot, search around these forums a little and you'll see lots of threads about it. It really all depends on the weather. Early is probably a little more consistent, but late can be good if you hit the weather right...more of a risk the later you come.
slough
hunter

Postby tbossart » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:27 am

BlackFoot777 wrote:Just a question to you folks up north. What is the best time to hunt waterfowl in north Dakota. Ducks, geese, don't matter food or water. Is it early october, or early November. Just wondering. By the way, if I go it will be the northern part of the state if that matters, in bottineau county. Just wondering what time is best, that all. Thank you very much.

Depends on the weather like someone already said. Also depends a bit on if you are gona be in a field or water. And if on water, in pot holes or big open water for divers. I would say as a general window, mid to later OCt. You have to remember early Nov, I think second weekend this year, is deer opener. While not impossible to do, it is a bit interesting to be in a field with high power rifle fire flying all around. More so when you are in camo vs blaze orange. But mid to late OCT is as good as any time. Really the best time to hunt water fowl is the time you are here doing it. Just gotta do the work to make it work.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting