ND Residents Only

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

ND Residents Only

Postby mauserfan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Folks....I feel for you. Judging by the posts here, there are a lot of these out of staters ready to descend upon your state and chase your birds. You've had a great thing going for years and it must smart a little to see this happening. I hope for you, that it will blow over soon. Maybe we're lucky next door that we have no ducks. I might get criticized for voicing my opinion on this but so be it. I wish all of you roughriders the best.....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Re: ND Residents Only

Postby Mallardhammer92 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:30 pm

So if you had to move to a neighboring state to work to provide for your family back home, you wouldn't do what you love in fear of making residents angry? That's down right silly. We are all sportsman and do what we love. If you think we are confined to a certain area in our pursuit, then maybe yours is somewhere off shore?
Mallardhammer92
Newb

Postby mauserfan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I understand your point, but I think you missed mine. Look at most of the posts here and you'll understand my comments. Take care. Mauser. :thumbsup:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Raves24 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 pm

You don't think all these people going to North Dakota helps boost their economy? I have been going there for 3 years now, all of the towns we have stayed in give us open arms because of the money we spend there. Some of these small towns, all they have is the hunting season and the oil boom. If it wasn't for NR hunting their fine state, im not sure they could stay afloat. I'm sure there are lots of farmers who hate all these people come and knock on there doors during prime farming season, but there is another side to this coin. I understand what your saying, but i also think ND would not be how it is today without NR.
Raves24
hunter

Postby slough » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 am

"But we spend money there" is such a tired argument. It's good and all for some small businesses in very small towns. But ND's economy might be the best in the country right now, and it isn't because of you and your buddies spending a few hundred bucks here.

I think Mauser's point was this state is getting overrun just by looking at the number of requests for information that NR's put out on these websites. And it's pretty much true. It will straighten out though, CRP is going away and once we get some drier weather to knock the ducks down it won't be nearly as good as it was and guys will stop coming.
slough
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:32 am

Slough, you summed it up pretty well. Aside from oil, I think a lot of people don't realize what drives the ND economy and who pays the bulk of the taxes.....those " lots of farmers who hate all these people come and knock on their doors during prime farming season" come to mind. Also, the whole CRP and drought comment is spot on. Unfortunately, this will most likely come to roost sooner than later. Good hunting....mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Postby seamount » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Mauser, I am one of those who will "decend" and I think many of the questions are from those interested in a quality experience and do not want to unduly bother landowners and who appreciate the opportunity to share in the bounty of a beautiful state. I speak for myself but yes, I do come to hunt but also to explore a different area in the United States and to meet new and interesting people and understand the history of the Great Plains. I don't want to take advantage of anyone's good will or hospitality. I will spend some money in the local area but the largest $ contribution is the $200 I spent on an out of state hunting license. I bet that money will be put to good use with the Game and Fish and to manage the wildlife resource in the state. That management is also appreciated by the residents of the state and I would guess it is a large part of the funding that keeps the G&F going.
seamount
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:20 pm

You're right seamount, I'm certain that the fwp appreciates your visit. Mauser
mauserfan
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I started this season with early goose on August 15th. I will hunt every weekend thru the end of pheasant hunting. I am a life time native of ND. I can say with very little hesitation, and with only a hand full of exceptions, that I have had zero issues with nonresident hunters. So whiel I guess some of you may have had different experiences, that has not bee then case for me. I look at it this way, if a guy is willign to pay the price in terms of doing research, palnning the trip with time to include advanced socuting time, and is willing to spend the time talkign to land owners, Then I have zero issues with this sort of hunter. By and far that ius the sort I have run into in my 39 years of hunting in this state. Opposite side of that coin is the lazy idiot who comes here thinking he can shoot up a dicth full of coot becasu ehe paid for a license. But, I dont dislike resident idiots like that any less. Its a big state with lots of land and plenty of game. All I ask of the out of state guys is they treat my state, the land owners , and the game like I do.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting