Newby going to ND

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Newby going to ND

Postby suzukidad » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:55 pm

My vacation plans just changed the week of Oct 1, and the duck season in Ohio wont start for 2 weeks after... Just getting my retriever back from 5 months of training and itching to try the duck hunting in ND. Always had others take me to their spots, but its time I do this myself. Been hunting ducks for 3-4 years and decided to pick up and head out for a week.

I have been researching the regs, google, and called the fish and game to get some questions answered. I get free hotels with points from work and Minot is an area that I can stay with the dog and it appears with in an hour of some potholes...

Ive got a layout blind, decoys, Mojo, dog, and love to chase ducks. In Ohio we are used to going out and seeing nothing...so I figured how can it be any worse in ND.

My question is...am I crazy? Is this possible?

What has the weather been like out there? is there much water? Are the crops maturing early like here?

I'm used to bowhunting elk in Montana and scouting for miles and figure this will be no different. A challenge is no big deal for me. My dog is a golden that has been trained for hunt tests and is pretty steady and lots of drive but only a year old. Figured why waste a weeks vacation...Coming whether its a bust or gold mine. Gotta start somewhere.

Not looking for any specific locations, just general tips on how to do this not where. Used to hunting small water, mud flats, and picked grain and alfalfa fields.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by suzukidad on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without freedom none of this matters
suzukidad
hunter

Re: Newby going to Minot area

Postby slough » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:12 am

There are a lot of posts like yours on these sites, read some of them and you will get a lot of the info that you ask for. Get a public land map (often called a PLOTS guide) - they're on the game and fish website and most outdoors retailers in ND will have them (they're free). You seem to be on the right track - you will have to scout quite a bit. Don't have unrealistic expectations and don't be afraid to knock on landowners' doors.
slough
hunter

Postby suzukidad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:55 am

Thank you for reply.

A couple of questions about concealing my dog.
Is a ground blind necessary around pot holes?
Do you stand in cat tails in water requiring a stand for your dog?

We usually hunt off of the land in the brush and no concealment is required except for natural brush and weeds. If a ground blind is recommended...I need to hurry and get him used to it!
suzukidad
hunter

Postby slough » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:40 am

Totally depends on the pothole. Some will have a dry area for the dog to sit, some won't.
slough
hunter

Postby Black96cobra » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:11 pm

If you are coming to ND for a different experience don't hunt water. Dry fields will be a different challenge for you and produce great hunting opportunities.
Black96cobra
hunter

Postby suzukidad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 am

Well, I have done a ton of reading and research and think maybe I am ready...lol
Getting Gazzetter and PLOTS maps this week. Have talked to the DNR about regs and specific questions that I had that weren't really in regs.

Been buying hunting supplies like crazy! Clothing for the unexpected, dog vest, kennel and cover, shells by the case, (not the best shot lol) and I am building one of the stands for the dog to sit on in high water that are in the first pages of the forum. Layout blind, decoys, guns ready! Had a dog blind for field hunting sent to the trainer to start my retriever in it. I will have him for a week to train before I leave, but want it started right. My trainer is awesome.

This trip is really about spending time with my dog. I have only seen him once a month for the past 6 months and want to share this experience with him. Whether or not we shoot a ton of ducks is not that important. Getting on them and having the time together will be great. We'll learn, screw up, and try it again...In Ohio you don't get those chances with the limited birds around me and private land being locked up.
suzukidad
hunter

Re: Newby going to ND

Postby tbossart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:01 pm

You sound like you have everything you need in hand. I would give field shooting a go. Like you already know, success lies in the socuting and finding the birds and then securing the permission to hunt if the land is posted. As far as cover for your dog, if he will stay in a down on command, when in the field then right next to your blind is fine. My golden lays right there with me not covered at all. Key is being still. Only thing mine moves is her head. which is great as i can key on birds behind by watching her. good luck and have fun!
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting