Freelance Hunting in North Dakota

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Freelance Hunting in North Dakota

Postby agan1027 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 am

I'm a duck hunter from Georgia and we mainly hunt woodies and scrap for a mallard every now and then. We’ve been going to Arkansas every year for about 10 years now and we've been considering a new adventure. What I would like is some insight on freelance duck hunting in North Dakota. Because of my first child being born this December, the duck hunting trip will not be until another year. However, I figured I would start the planning now and try to be somewhat prepared.
I'm not after anyone's honey holes or connections, I would just like some good information to help me get started to plan this trip. Some questions I have are:
- Areas of North Dakota that would have an abundance of land that could be freelance hunted?
- Round about best time of the year/season to hunt North Dakota?
- I've heard its majority field hunting, is this true?
- Best equipment (I have 100s of duck decoys, will those work for the type of hunting in ND) for hunting ducks?
- Is it true that its fairly easy to get permission from farmers to hunt ducks on their land?
Any other information besides the questions I've asked would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!!
agan1027
Newb

Re: Freelance Hunting in North Dakota

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Don't duck decoys work for duck hunting? Eveything your asking can be found on the NoDak forum

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby agan1027 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:26 am

Let me clarify for you backwoodsboy09,
When I ask about equipment, I'm asking whether floater decoys will be fine or is it necessary to have some full body decoys. I understand that there is a lot of dry land hunting in ND (Or so I have heard) and just would like a little insight on dry land decoys. Where I’m from its so flat the water doesn’t know which way to run so its everywhere and that’s all we hunt in.
agan1027
Newb

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Field to water dekes all depends on where you will be hunting.

Sent while sitting at work!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

You willfind that ND is very freindly for duck huinting. If wiull aslo likey find most land is posted. It is correct that most land ownsers are pretty nice about letting you hunt. Some are not, but thats why you ask. ND offers plenty of water to hun tover or on as well as field hunting. reallyit is up to you as to which you. I prefer the field and have hinted exclusivley in feilds for the lat 20 years. If you are gona hunt in the fields I reccomend at least a few dozen full body fullmotiion decoys. Shells work, but you will draw far better with some motion and full body decoys. You will likely want a dozen or two of full body full motiion canadian goose decoys if you dont own them as well. Shells work fine, but the motion is killer. If you dont own a robotic decoy, I would reccomend one of those iof not two or three, with remotes if you want to shoot canadian geese. Lay out blinds are a must in the fields as well.

You really need to do some research into where you want to hunt. You can hunt on the river out west ( missouri), or the canadain border big lake area like Devils lake or the opposite side of state Minot and up there, or the midddle prarrie pot hole region, dead center of the state basically. All three are great and will give you plenty of opprotunity if you do the work to find the birds and the land to hun tthem on. Thats what it boils down to, doign teh work to scout, finding the birds, and secure the land/water to hunt them on. Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting