winging it

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

winging it

Postby timmer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:38 pm

hello hunters, i am a non resident colelge kid from michigan and me and my buddy are thinking sbout coming out and duck hunting, we picked out the spot and that will be the devils lake area, although we are doin it ourselves so i was just wandering some things. I heard that just about any farmer will let you hunt there feild for ducks and geese, although if not we will be hunting the lake itself, but what are my odds of killing ducks jsut by winging it, and also the dates are october 22 through the 28 ish, i would like to know is there any chance at killing a snow goose cuz we dont have them here in michgian often, also can i kill sandhills that would be awesome, any info would be very helpful, and i dont mean to intrude just a colelge kid looking to kill some ducks on a little break we have and a dream trip of some sort, for little money!
timmer
hunter

Re: winging it

Postby timmer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:54 pm

also what types of ducks can i be lookin towards killing late october, ive never killed nice looking pintails, gadwalls and wigeon or teal herre, could i get one to hang on the wall out there?
timmer
hunter

Postby Feathers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Devils lake is probably the most pressured area in the state. In other areas almost all farmers will give you permission. Devils Lake half at best assuming you can find them.

You will have a crack at many species of divers and puddlers at that time and most will have good plummage by then. A decent spread of 3-5 dozen decs consisting of mallards and bluebills will decoy most, if not all, of the species of ducks assuming you have scouted and are in a good area. There will be snows around but if you've never hunted them I would not suggest trying. You need a seperate license for cranes (I believe it costs $5) but most of the cranes are west of Devils.

Don't skybust. Don't bust roosts. Treat the locals and land with respect and leave it the way you found it.

One question for you. How did you get into college with that grammer?
Feathers
hunter

Postby Raves24 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Went to Devils Lake our first year out. Never again. You won't find privite land to hunt unless you travel more then 30 mins in either direction. Everything is leased by guides or owned by people to live no were near Devils lake. We hunted all plots land. We shot birds every day. One day we limited out, but we had to hunt very hard for that. You will need huge spreads of decoys for snows. Unless you have that, forget it.I buy a crane tage every year, never shot one though. Good luck out there.
Raves24
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Feathers wrote:Devils lake is probably the most pressured area in the state. In other areas almost all farmers will give you permission. Devils Lake half at best assuming you can find them.

You will have a crack at many species of divers and puddlers at that time and most will have good plummage by then. A decent spread of 3-5 dozen decs consisting of mallards and bluebills will decoy most, if not all, of the species of ducks assuming you have scouted and are in a good area. There will be snows around but if you've never hunted them I would not suggest trying. You need a seperate license for cranes (I believe it costs $5) but most of the cranes are west of Devils.

Don't skybust. Don't bust roosts. Treat the locals and land with respect and leave it the way you found it.

One question for you. How did you get into college with that grammer?

So asks the guy that didn't spell grammar correctly.... :no:

This is a hunting forum, not a job application.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Feathers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 pm

beretta24 wrote:
This is a hunting forum, not a job application.

Straighten your chin a little. Maybe twice.
Feathers
hunter

Postby timmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am

alright lets not stray away from the information because of grammar, so can somebody give me a good solid place to go that's not too far west we would like to go at farthest middle part of state, theres going to be five of us and we have 5 dozen duck decoys and 4 dozen goose decoys. I just want to kill birds, we leave all fields the way they were when we left them im not there to cause any problems just kill some ducks and have a great time with my buddies.

Here in Michigan its hard to kill ducks in a field I would love to try and do that, because where I live theres not a good number of ducks, and sir I do not sky bust, don't like it so I don't do it!
timmer
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:32 am

People won't likely share their area, but if there's water there will likely be birds; I.e. not as many options west of the MO river.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby slough » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 am

timmer wrote: I just want to kill birds

That's it? Might as well go to a game farm.
slough
hunter

Postby timmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 am

im just looking for any type of area at all to kill waterfowl, state land? anything, Michigan duck hunting is not the greatest we have to work for our ducks and they don't come through in giant flocks or in the fields lol I want me and my buddies to head out west have fun kill some ducks and just make some memories as long as I see ducks it'll be a great time.

I hear of these plots land, i've researched them and can anyone give me information on them that they know, anyone hunt them, what's it like? just anything, like I said were leaving Michigan the night of October 21
timmer
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 am

x2 for Slough. ....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby OldMan and the Kid » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Hello Young Man ,

We need you to be part of the hunting community. If guys like you and your friends are turned off by a few disgruntled hunters hunting will be lost as a way of life many of us love. I would probably not go to the Devils Lake area just because it is so advertised and there is more competition. Get the plots maps and do some research looking for areas with plenty of potholes. Small towns in North Dakota love hunters and the money you spend in their communities. Plots gives you plenty of places to hunt but if you see birds working a field or water don't be afraid to go ask the farmer. Hunt Mornings and scout evenings preparing for the next day. Look for smaller pieces of water that others may have overlooked or are further away from the road. Your young legs will allow you to do some hiking. Decoys , on these ponds you just need a 8 or 9 but a light weight robo can be worth it's weight in gold. You just want them to land where yo are at and draw them to your pond. Go out their with a good spirit and enjoy yourself. I have hunted ducks for over 50 year and some of my favorite hunting has been hunkered in the cattails on a small pond in North Dakota , shooting over 6 decoys , shooting a limit , heading for town in a local diner , chatting with some of the nicest people on earth, heading back to my room at a mom and pop motel , cleaning my birds, taking a nap, scouting the evening , grilling some duck breasts , a nice toddy, and falling asleep to do it all again the next day for as long as I can stay.
Do well young man and make some memories. Don't let the nay sayers drag you down, your a smart kid, you can make this happen. Be friendly , polite, respect the people and the land and you can enjoy this little piece of heaven for a long time.
Just my take
OldMan and the Kid
Newb

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Old man and the kid - I'm not disgruntled. Anytime I hear someone say how their going to "Kill", "Hammer", "Slam", "Pound", "Slaughter" or "Whack" game, it makes my blood run cold. There's a lot of respect that we need to have for the game we're after and these adjectives just lend some insight into where these folks are, or are not, at. If a person simply wants to "Crush" things, then go shoot clays. Yes, I agree that we do need to nurture young hunters but there are others, young and old, that need to be called out. Keep your powder dry.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby timmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:47 pm

I have much respsect for the game sorry if those adjectives offended you or made you feel like were in the wrong, that's how ive always put it, like if you limit out you "hammered" the birds or same as fishing, I didn't mean anything wrong, I would love to go out there and shoot our limit everyday but its probably not going to happen, im used to working for my ducks and I will continue to no matter the state, and its a risks im willing to take if we do not even shoot a shell, its about being out there in unknown country having a blasts with my buddies I grew up with hunting, plus I really want to shoot a colored pintail or gadwall we don't have them often here in central Michigan lol
timmer
hunter

Postby tilley » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I agree totally with mauserfan.
tilley
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Look up guides. Might be a possibility that a newer guide in the area is till looking to build up his clientele.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 am

Don't hire a guide. Guides are frowned upon in the state and only make it harder for freelancers by leasing up all the land.

Pull out a map or take a look at some aerial shots on google. Pick a town with a lot of water around it and there will be birds. Central part of the state has less pressure than the Eastern edge. Lodging may be tough to find at this point. No one is going to give you their area or town they go to on a hunting forum. You can't and shouldn't plan your trip based off what you read on a forum. Get out there and scout and you will shoot birds. It really isn't that difficult and there is no magic spot. Stuff changes from year to year. There has been plenty of good advice in this thread.

Good luck and have fun.
Feathers
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 am

Three things you need to hunt ND. Gas money, binoculars, and a good attitude. Google earth and searching previous years migration reports will get you started. Pick three likely areas and start calling for lodging now. Don't be afraid to pack up and move if you aren't on birds in the first area you arrive to. Talk to locals. I can't even count how many times i stopped to ask a farmer permission for a field and he would say "there are way more birds in joe's field over the hill, let me call him for you."

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby timmer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm

thank you ! so would you guys say east or west of devils lake and we plan on just being troopers we have a camper and a tent !
timmer
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

If you have a camper no where near Devils. Why would you go to the most pressured area of the state if you have your own lodging on wheels? I would go to the NW portion of the state if I had a camper. Oil fields have made it really hard for out of state hunters to get lodging at a reasonable price. This has made for nearly no pressure and very little posting.
Feathers
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Last time I went I never even saw another hunter. You gotta pick a better part of the state. We limited out every day in 30 mins. I dont think that happens much in the Devils Lake area.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby tbossart » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 pm

timmer wrote:thank you ! so would you guys say east or west of devils lake and we plan on just being troopers we have a camper and a tent !

My advice is either north of jamestown or south of jamestown. You will be able to shoot Pintails and every other duck you mentioned. Pintalils have been a bit more scare for some reason where I hunt, south and west of jamestown. I agree with all who say aovid DL area in general...get at least 60 miles west of there if you want to be in that general area. You can get great hunting there...but it can be damn crowded to say the least. ALL the land is posted and much is controlled by big guide groups which sucks as they hold birds that never get shot and as a result never leave. You best bet is to do as one of these guys said, scout in early evening...about 2 to 3 hours prior to sunset. Find a big feed in a field, if its psoted dont be afraid to call the guy, if ya cant read the name on the sign, or there is no phone number, go to the nearest farmstead and dont be afraid to ask if it is their land or if they know whos it is. Just be poilte, which you seem to be anyways. Most will let you on the land to hunt. Water hunting you will have zero problem finding. All sizes and sorts of water are around. You can hunt state waterfowl production areas, and PLOTS...but you cant drive into them which can be problematic in terms of ease of getting gear in place etc. Gotta get a plots map as sometimes the PLOTS field ends right in the middle too. I have hunted ducks my entire life in this stae from Bismarck to Devils lake and every where in between. I like North of Jamestown or South. you cant go wrong north between Jamestown and DL really. If you do the work scouting, you will kill ducks and canadians, dont worry about the snows, you need a massive spread to get those silly things to decoy...and I mean MASSIVE. Do some research in so far as camp grounds and let that sort of guide your areas. When it gets a bit closer to your trip, PM me and I will give you as much help as I can. I sent you this PM casue peopel on this site get a lil pissy sometimes...as you have seen. Good luck!

Tom
tbossart
hunter

Postby honker_hammer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 pm

timmer wrote:hello hunters, i am a non resident colelge kid from michigan and me and my buddy are thinking sbout coming out and duck hunting, we picked out the spot and that will be the devils lake area, although we are doin it ourselves so i was just wandering some things. I heard that just about any farmer will let you hunt there feild for ducks and geese, although if not we will be hunting the lake itself, but what are my odds of killing ducks jsut by winging it, and also the dates are october 22 through the 28 ish, i would like to know is there any chance at killing a snow goose cuz we dont have them here in michgian often, also can i kill sandhills that would be awesome, any info would be very helpful, and i dont mean to intrude just a colelge kid looking to kill some ducks on a little break we have and a dream trip of some sort, for little money!

I have no problem with out of state hunters, but if you come to my state to hunt stay off the roost. if you cant find a field to hunt im sorry but don't ruin the hunting for those of us that live here.
honker_hammer
Newb

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting