which zones

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

which zones

Postby lbhansford » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:35 am

I am currently signed up for zones 3 and 1 for a week. Should I switch this to 2 and 3 instead? Looks to be alot more potholes in zone 2?
lbhansford
hunter

Re: which zones

Postby tbossart » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 am

Zone 1 and 2 are smack in the middle of whats called the " prairie pot hole region" of the state. The reason they have these zones is to limit the non res hunters in them, because they are so wicked good for water fowl hunting. I would say unless you have a reason to not get the state wide, OR you know exactly where you are gona hunt, you should look at getting the statewide deal so as to have total freedom to roam where ever. I grew up hunting in zone 1 and 2 bascially, and have hunted almost exclusively in zone 1 for about 20 years now. I venture a bit east of zone 1 and I go north too, but mainly I hunt right there. If you want pot holes, sloughs and bigger water..zones 1 and 2 are the ticket. Plus the field hunting in this area is spectacular due to the water/pot holes holding the birds. Hope that helps. PM me if ya need more. Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Postby slough » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:22 am

they're all good, just kinda comes down the the area you know and have a place to stay. If you aren't sure it would probably just be best to spend the extra $40 and buy the statewide license - Less than a night of scouting costs.
slough
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:11 am

took the advice and switched to a statewide. would suck to find a honey hole somewhere that you cant hunt.
lbhansford
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting