Heading to ND and I see this Report

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Heading to ND and I see this Report

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 am

Heading up to devils lake right now, and I see this on the migration app. I've seen other reports but this scares me. Image

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Heading to ND and I see this Report

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 am

Damn tough break, better take their word on it...
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:45 am

wanapasaki wrote:Damn tough break, better take their word on it...

I don't think it's as bad as this guy makes it sound.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:47 am

xtrema13 wrote:

Sent from my PH-2

Migration has barely started there. Local birds are probably just starting to leave. The guys that reported that was a Jack Ass
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 am

wanapasaki wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:

Sent from my PH-2

Yeah that guy is smoking crack.

Migration has barely started there. Local birds are probably just starting to leave. The guys that reported that was a Jack Ass

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:00 am

It's been warm here in Alaska. I don't think the birds have pushed down yet. When the jet stream goes back to the easterly winter flow it will cool things down and lock-up water and cover food.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 am

AKPirate wrote:It's been warm here in Alaska. I don't think the birds have pushed down yet. When the jet stream goes back to the easterly winter flow it will cool things down and lock-up water and cover food.

Yeah I saw some pintails ahead of themselves opening day, but that's been it, in Central California.
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:07 am

wanapasaki wrote:
AKPirate wrote:It's been warm here in Alaska. I don't think the birds have pushed down yet. When the jet stream goes back to the easterly winter flow it will cool things down and lock-up water and cover food.

Yeah I saw some pintails ahead of themselves opening day, but that's been it, in Central California.

yep, there are birds around I am sure but we have been slammed by these storms and all that warmth swings east and drifts over Canada. Once this cycle stops it's going to get dry and cold quickly.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:08 am

AKPirate wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:

yep, there are birds around I am sure but we have been slammed by these storms and all that warmth swings east and drifts over Canada. Once this cycle stops it's going to get dry and cold quickly.

Yeah I imagine you will see a record migration fly by lol. Get ready before its passes you up!
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:11 am

I live 100 miles south of Devils Lake, ND. That report could have been written for my area.
we have very few waterfowl in south central ND.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:38 am

Old Hunter wrote:I live 100 miles south of Devils Lake, ND. That report could have been written for my area.
we have very few waterfowl in south central ND.

Out of staters will come, whether you like it or not, and it's easy to see through deception :thumbsup:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby tbossart » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 am

I have hunted in this state my entire life, so having over 40 years of experience doing so, I know that anyone who hunts knows the birds move...all the time. You can scout a feed of 2500 ducks all the way from 4 pm til sunset...set up the next morning and not a birds shows up all day, or for the rest of the season in that particular spot. So for some yahooo to suggest that the Devils lake region is void of birds before ANY snow has fallen there or in Canada is ridiculous. I can say having been out in the field huinting since Aug 15th all the way thru last weekend, everey weekend, that in the central region of the state, where I hunt, we get the feeling the birds are defintiley pushing south with in the state. We are seeing way more lessers and swans around ( swans especially) and the birds are in bigger groups, on bigger water and the feeds we are seeing are fewer, but way larger. All of that indicates to us, they are on the move locally. I have a direct line to the director of DU Canada, and I have heard the migration isnt even barley spun up due to the warmer temps up until just recently.

Bottom line, we call it hunting for a reason and not just duck shooting, so it takes a little luck on your timing if you are from out of state.....Good luck out there and have FUN, thats the idea.
tbossart
hunter

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:20 pm

That report did seem fishy but we've been hunting south central this week and its been tough by any standard. That being said you might see a good push pretty soon
Yoda
hunter

Postby tbossart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Yoda wrote:That report did seem fishy but we've been hunting south central this week and its been tough by any standard. That being said you might see a good push pretty soon

Are you in the fields or on the water? My house is in Gackle, and last weekend we got screwed by rain...just too muddy to get into the fields we found the feeds in, harveted soy bean fields are a disaster when it rains. That is where we found the biggest feeds, harvested beans. How is it out there as far as things being wet? I am heading out in the morning and going to hunt some stubble that was holding a few geese last friday evening, so basically 100% blind...so if you can throw me even a " how are the roads" report that would be great help. Gona be early and dark when we get there..reguardless, I hope your hunting improves. Good luck.
tbossart
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:03 am

I have been waterfowling North Dakota for 55 years and right now is the least number of birds I have ever seen. In south central -Kulm,Gackle. Streeter,Medina Jamestown there are no birds.Im not spreading bs to keep people away.I feel sorry for the folks that have planned their hunting vacation all year and drive thousands of miles to hunt here. There are very few birds in the whole state . Blanchfields guides have been traveling 1oo miles to their hunting spots. Some birds on the northern border but still very few. Mallards are stacked up in Canada just north of the border.Have friends hunting Canada now , will know more in a few days.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby Yoda » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 am

T
Sorry for the late reply. I'm sure you've answered your questions already. We were hunting around lehr. We just got back yesterday. Very few fields were cut when we were there. However they were getting after it pretty hard at the end of the week. We hardly saw any mallards. But on the ride home we saw a ton of cut field and saw mallards and geese hitting them. Not big numbers but it still looked better than what we saw. We hinted water all week and got mostly divers. Majority of roads were in good condition. We did see a migration if blue bills and ringnecks hit our area at the end. Lots of snows and cranes at the end too. So based on that and what we saw yesterday I think we missed the good stuff by about a week. This was our first trip there on the way up we ran into someone that said don't stop at the hole with 30 birds find the one with 300. We never found that. There were birds on just about every bit of water but numbers ranged from single digits to dozens. I don't think we ever saw a body of water with more than 100 except two diver holes
Yoda
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Been going to ND for 15 years. This was by far the fewest birds we have ever seen. 700 miles scouting in 6 days and it was still the worst I have seen in ND........locals really moved out on Wed. Northerns havent shown yet. Snow geese did ove in good numbers to Lake Alice but Mallards are scarce !!
The Drake
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm

The Drake wrote:Been going to ND for 15 years. This was by far the fewest birds we have ever seen. 700 miles scouting in 6 days and it was still the worst I have seen in ND........locals really moved out on Wed. Northerns havent shown yet. Snow geese did ove in good numbers to Lake Alice but Mallards are scarce !!

Thats cuz they all ended up taking my flyway :hi:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 am

Canada is getting very cold and most of the smaller water is freezing. We should see some good migration this week.Hope it starts soon or we are setting up for a Grand passage.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 am

Y0DA I saw the migration of divers you guys hunted, it was huge. It covered a area from Lehr and about a 3o mile radius. Most left my area this weekend. Hoping for mallards this week.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Old Hunter wrote:I have been waterfowling North Dakota for 55 years and right now is the least number of birds I have ever seen. In south central -Kulm,Gackle. Streeter,Medina Jamestown there are no birds.Im not spreading bs to keep people away.I feel sorry for the folks that have planned their hunting vacation all year and drive thousands of miles to hunt here. There are very few birds in the whole state . Blanchfields guides have been traveling 1oo miles to their hunting spots. Some birds on the northern border but still very few. Mallards are stacked up in Canada just north of the border.Have friends hunting Canada now , will know more in a few days.

While it has been more challenging to find ducks in larger feeds, I have hunted the gackle area since August 15 of this year for early goose. I was out there yesterday, there are birds around in bigger and growing numbers now. Pretty sure the push is on out of the northern part of the state as we are seeing way more, like thousand, of snows, and lessers, along with swans.

While its not like 5 -7 years ago, the numbers are fine in my opinion. Still up well above longterm averages throughout the state. Our general feeling was that it was so wet and so warm this fall for so long , the birds never had to bunch up and there are just too many pot holes, sloughs etc...to move them off and with the warmth, they dont need to feed as heavy nor often. I have been hunting in ND for 40 years and can recall the days of 2 mallard/no hen limit and that stupid points system too. These numbers are no whee near that low...limit is still 6 a day and two hens, so its not that bad. Cant all be world record seasons ya know. We have had a great season so far, only "complaint" was finding feeds early on. As of late that has not been a problem at all. Thats my two cents.
tbossart
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 pm

A couple of days can make a huge diference! North Dakota is loading up with birds right now. I hope it stays warm.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby tbossart » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:09 am

I agree 100% Old Hunter. The birds move thru all the time...they move south in leaps and jumps dependant on both food and weather. So its not like there is this wad of birds that is either here or gone....it is a flow of waterefowl constantly on the move with periods of being in an "area" for a time and then moving on. Timing is everything if you are a non res hunter...sometimes you are gona hit it and other times you are gona miss it. Having the ability to be mobile and flexible is great if you can swing it, as it will give you the best opprotunity. I ahve driven as far as 90 miles ina day to hunt ducks this year. Other times I have had to go 1.5 miles...like this weekend. Hunted literally 5 mins from my door to standing where I was setting up decoys. Water fowl moves around
tbossart
hunter

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:31 pm

It was our first trip and even though the numbers were "low" compared to what we had hoped for, it was still better than we could do anywhere around us for a week straight. We learned some things too that will certainly make our next trip even more succesful
Yoda
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting