Need 4wd for hunting in North Dakota???

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Need 4wd for hunting in North Dakota???

Postby dschwartz1990 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but a college buddy and I are leaving on our first ever North Dakota duck hunting trip this coming Sat. We are wondering whether or not we will need to take a 4wd truck, or if we could get away with a car to save some money on gas? Obviously we don't plan on driving into fields with a car, and probably wouldn't with a truck either. Just wondering how rough the roads surrounding the fields are this time of year, and if taking a car is out of the question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
dschwartz1990
Newb

Re: Need 4wd for hunting in North Dakota???

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:59 pm

It's not ideal

But it's definitely doable
Bucky Goldstein
Newb

Postby Black96cobra » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:16 pm

I can tell you that the roads up here are terrible this time of year. We are getting some colder temps so things are starting to freeze but midday everything is thawing and making a mess.
This year has been the wetest year on record for ND and it shows on the roads!
Black96cobra
hunter

Postby tbossart » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 am

You are going to serious limit your ability to hunt without a fourwheel drive truck up here. Unless you KNOW exactly where you are going and KNOW you can access that area by car, then you are sort of wasting your time coming here to hunt. The gravel two weeks ago was a challenge even in my truck in four wheel...just staying on the road was not easy...going into a section line road or minimum maintenance road was, well, fun, but very tough going. You could not hope to hunt effectivley in a car under those conditons at all.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting