Just got back from 1st trip with some questions

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Just got back from 1st trip with some questions

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:06 pm

We got back from our first ever trip to North Dakota. We did our scouting and had a hard time finding large numbers of birds, really didn't find any mallards, and the crops were still unharvested for the most part. That being said, It was a fun trip and a success and we are planning for our next trip already. It took us a bit of time to get the hang of it and i have some questions if you all can help me out. They might seem dumb, and maybe they will be unnecessary for next year if there are a ton more birds around when we come up
Thanks in advance

Scouting: How do you do it? Seems silly to ask, but we think we might have gone about it wrong to start off. We dove in to the section line roads right off the bat and in the end probably didn't cover a ton of square miles. Do you guys hit the county highways first and then dive into the section line roads after you get a general idea of the area and bird concentration?

Posted Land: What's the difference, if any, between "Posted" signs and "no hunting" signs. Obviously you can't hunt either without permission, but are teh "no hunting" signs a clear signal not to even bother asking? Also it seemed many of those signs were relatively new looking signs and we thought maybve the farmer just had them out until the crops were out?

Permission: With a Plat Book having phone numbers, do you ever call a landowner for permission? It seems it would be weird to do it that way, but was just curious if you just can't get face to face with the person, do you just dial them up?
Yoda
hunter

Re: Just got back from 1st trip with some questions

Postby gunshow » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Yoda wrote: Scouting: How do you do it? Seems silly to ask, but we think we might have gone about it wrong to start off. We dove in to the section line roads right off the bat and in the end probably didn't cover a ton of square miles. Do you guys hit the county highways first and then dive into the section line roads after you get a general idea of the area and bird concentration?

I guess everyone may do it a little differently but we put in a lot of work. We watch them during the day to see where they are congregating and then follow them out to the fields to see where they eat at night. Then we'll set up on those water bodies in the day and go set up in those fields at night. Sometimes we hit em hard, sometimes we get suckered. Either way it's fun...We do a lot of jump shooting during the mid-day to chase birds from one spot to another. Now that our area has gotten a bit more pressure we don't need to move around as much because others will kick them back towards us eventually.

Yoda wrote:Posted Land: What's the difference, if any, between "Posted" signs and "no hunting" signs. Obviously you can't hunt either without permission, but are teh "no hunting" signs a clear signal not to even bother asking? Also it seemed many of those signs were relatively new looking signs and we thought maybve the farmer just had them out until the crops were out?

I've been hunting in ND for 20 years, mostly as a NR, and I can tell you that most of the no hunting signs I've come across are put up for deer season (and just left up forever). You have to talk to the locals to verify this but in my experience they don't care if you come in and shoot the ducks they just don't want anyone shooting their big whitetails. 20 years ago when we first found our spot we asked, otherwise we'd still be looking for a better spot to hunt....speak up otherwise you'll never know....and we've made some great local friends during our time out there.

Yoda wrote:Permission: With a Plat Book having phone numbers, do you ever call a landowner for permission? It seems it would be weird to do it that way, but was just curious if you just can't get face to face with the person, do you just dial them up?

Never called someone, just usually try and find the landowner when in town either by asking around at the local bar and or cafe or by stopping farmers on the roads or in the fields to chat. Very friendly people in Nodak.

Good luck
gunshow
hunter

Re: Just got back from 1st trip with some questions

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 am

I call farmers all the time in the fall. Lots of times you get the wife or kid, but most, after a quick conversation will either tell you what field the farmer is currently in, or give his cell number. I still knock on plenty of doors though.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting