Guides

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Guides

Postby WildDuckman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:52 am

Just curious..... On Devils Lake and Stump Lake is there a lot of guides, that the freelance hunter has to deal with? I've seen several guide services in the area and was wondering if they take their clients to those two lakes mentioned??
WildDuckman
hunter

Re: Guides

Postby recker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes lots of guides. From what i have read all of the land around devils lake is locked up and mostly from guides. Its not like it used to be. You write enough magazine articles on how great devils lake is along with people talking on the internet and the area will get crowded in a hurry.
recker
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Majority of the guided hunts in ND take place in fields or shallow sloughs. Like recker said, lots of land locked up around devils and stump.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Feathers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 am

Agree with Tornado chaser most guides hunt fields and if they have to small sloughs. I do not use guides but from what I've heard they are a waste of money in ND. We knew some guys who were using guides the same weekend we were out there last year. We were coming back with limits and they were coming back with 2-3 birds a piece and paying $200 per day per guy. The guide didn't even have layouts. He was hunting fence rows with a few dozen field decoys and a spinner.

If you enjoy freelancing in ND do not support the guides. The devils area is pretty bad and top it off with tons of pressure from freelancers it can be tough to get on fields.
Feathers
hunter

Postby recker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:07 pm

The other thing you have to be prepard for with a guide is they will stick you with five or six other people. Everyone bangs away at one time. To me that is not at all fun- especially when I am paying $200 dollars for the day.
recker
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 am

I wouldnt use a guide...I was just wondering how much I would have to deal with guides in and around Dl and Stump.... Thx for the insight.
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby recker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 pm

WildDuckman wrote:I wouldnt use a guide...I was just wondering how much I would have to deal with guides in and around Dl and Stump.... Thx for the insight.

Well you would have to deal with them alot in Devils Lake. I think a simple rule is in an area is written up alot in magazines, etc. it is going to be a zoo. Way better places in North Dakota to hunt imo.
recker
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting