Tentative opening dates for "07"

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Tentative opening dates for "07"

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 pm

NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby HereDucky » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:12 am

Anyone have any suggestions for around Dickinson for some non-resident guys from Denver? We'll be there on an annual opener weekend pheasant hunt, but we would really like to try some duck hunting out in the fields if we can. Understand the SWAs and PLOT lands are off limits to non-res hunters during that time -- so we are looking for any and all info that might help us get in some afternoon hunts.

Some additional clarification (since reading all of the drama about non-res vs. res) -- we're not looking for gps coordinates of your honey hole, just not sure if it would be best to look for a river corridor, or grain fields around a res, etc. Here in CO we focus pretty much around the South Platte, for example. General info would be greatly appreciated.

I figure spending the afternoon with my lab outside with any chance of seeing a few ducks is better than playing poker and drinking beer. There's plenty of time for that after sunset. :thumbsup:
HereDucky
hunter

Postby h2oski » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 pm

Too far west for ducks. You would have to drive 2-4 hours east to get into decent duck hunting....ad in the scouting and it is already dark. Not saying it can't be done. Just harder from Dickinson.

I would suggest hitting the badlands for sharp-tailed grouse. they are much better table fare than the pheasants anyways.
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Postby HereDucky » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks very much for the response. You seem to echo what I have heard elsewhere. I guess I will have to plan a duck only trip some year and hit the pothole region. Funny you mention the sharpies, and how they make good eats. We usually get into some, and are dedicated eat what we shoot hunters -- but we cannot make them taste even close to edible!! Real dark meat, but goose tactics have failed us at the table. Perhaps you have the secret recipe?
HereDucky
hunter

Postby h2oski » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:45 am

Most people don't care for the wild or "gamey" flavor of the sharp-tailed grouse. Personally, I like that flavor. To me, pheasant isn't much different than chicken on the grill in terms of taste.

I try and shoot as many sharpies as possible in the fall. Wished they wouldn't get so darned skittish so early in the year so I could hunt them throughout the year.

Here is the trick with sharpies. take a bowl with some flour in it. Add in some lemon pepper seasoning, poultry seasoning, oninion powder, and garlic salt. Mix up the flour and seasonings. Cut breasts into chunks/strips and fry in oil. Once they are nice and crispy, take them out and have A1 steak sauce as a side dip for the grouse.

Other option is to fry up with no flour and just a little lemon/pepper seasoning. Once fried, scatter on a flour tortillo along with chopped roma tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper. Add some cheese and top with another tortillo. Put in the oven until cheese is melted. garnish with lettuce, pico de gallo or salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.

You can also take and split breasts and wrap in bacon and put them on the grill. Use toothpicks to hold bacon on breast strips. (dove is also good with this recipe)

Hope that helps. If I was in Dickinson, I would try shoot my sharpies before my pheasants, but I have always been the minority on those hunting trips. :crying:
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting