Not Seeing Ducks

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Not Seeing Ducks

Postby h2oski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Hi all: Gotta say it is kind of depressing here right now. I had a nice long drive the other day down in what is probably the heart of duck alley here in ND and to be honest, I just haven't seen the ducks like years past.

I surely don't want to sound pessimistic here, but even in areas with abundant water, just aren't showing ducks.

This may be a very interesting year. I have a buddy wanting to come from South Carolina this year and right now I am telling him to hold his money.

I usually see brood after brood on my trips around the state and I guess I am not sure where all the ducks are at.

hmmmm
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 am

I hear ya guy. I live in the S.E. part of the state and I'm not seeing even close to what I saw just last year. We had major flooding here early this summer which I think washed out some nests and than after that we had a long dry period which was salt on the wound. Pheasants dont look to be doing any better either. Very depressing to see.
NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby camocraft17 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:58 pm

.Hey Guys,

I am heading up to Crosby in Oct to pheasant hunt with my brother in law. His family mostly hunt the roosters, but thought about maybe trying to go after some waterfowl in the sleughs(??sp). Since i am coming from VA, I have no clue about the ducks up there, but a friend tells me it is the land of ducks being that close to Canadia :biggrin: .

Any tips would be great, and I look forward to walking that great land of the north!

Brad
"I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!"
VAWFA Member
D.U Member
camocraft17
hunter

Postby h2oski » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:13 am

camocraft: You will find more pheasants in Crosby than ducks this year. I would say you will need to drive East of Crosby an hour or so to get into decent duck hunting.

As you can see by this post, we are not seeing the ducks we typically see. That doesn't mean that our migration won't be in full swing and there will tons of ducks here when you arrive. That could very well happen.

Right now I am extremely concerned. I have been hunting birds for over 20 years and this is one of the lowest numbers of birds seen in quite some time. In fact, I would almost compare it to the dry years of 1988-90.

I haven't looked at Canada's numbers yet. I surely hope the duck forecast is better up there, otherwise there are going to be some dissapointed hunters here in ND this fall.

h2oski
hunter

Postby the legend » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:30 am

just drove i 29 from the south end all the way to canada on friday on my way up to my hometown in northern minnesota. all the ducks must be concentrated in the ditches along interstate.
"A legend in his own mind."
the legend
hunter

Postby SKi'n'Hunt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:56 am

Hey h2o where do you ski at, I am a beginner when it comes to ducks but consider myself above average when it comes to skiing. Seeing that I live where duck hunting is more popular than skiing, my abilities are rusting out.
SKi'n'Hunt
Newb

Postby h2oski » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:15 am

I hear what you are saying. I ski 36 mph at 22 off. Mostly recreation, but like to do the slalom course every once in a while.

I too live in the heart of duck hunting and walleye fishing, so I have trouble finding people to ski with. I should have been out skiing way more this year, but you have to find people who share the passion of skiing like you do. Most of the time people just want to come in the boat and drink while cruising around looking at lake homes. I would rather be going fast pulling somebody or gettting pulled myself.

Been skiing since age 7 and I am now 33. Barefooted from 17 to age 22. I am probably too old for it now.

Putting the boat away this weekend to concentrate on birds now.

h2oski
hunter

Postby camocraft17 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:35 pm

H20ski,

Thanks for the info. I have never hunted pheasant, so maybe I will try to focus on that. My brother in law tells me his cousin is in tune with the hunting up there, so hopefully, if there are some ducks to shoot, maybe we will go.

Sorry to hear its not looking good, but maybe it will change. I read somewhere that duck counts were up quite a bit based on recent data. Don't know.

Thanks,

Brad
"I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!"
VAWFA Member
D.U Member
camocraft17
hunter

Postby goldhunter470 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:13 pm

I was doing some fishing in central ND this weekend and I am very pumped about the upcoming season. Things looked very promising.
Input that enables becomes thoughts that smother.
goldhunter470
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting