First Week of November

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

First Week of November

Postby xrated » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 am

In the early stages of planning a trip to your state next year. Due to work schedules it is looking like the first week of November is when we will be able to make it work.


What can we expect as far as hunting, weather and pressure during that time?

We aren't really sure on where we will go yet. We have connections in MInot, Bismark and Sheyene area.

Any tips you guys can lend to one MN guy and a handful of north Idaho and eastern WA buds would be appreciated. And our one or two token NoDaks.
User avatar
xrated
hunter
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 am
Location: the swamp, MN


Re: First Week of November

Postby slough » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Hard to have real solid "expectations" that time of year. Could be prime or could be all froze up with a foot of snow on the ground, or it could even be too warm to have had much of a migration going on. You'll just be at the mercy of the weather, no more no less. Deer season opens on Nov. 7, which often makes getting on land more difficult.
slough
hunter
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: First Week of November

Postby recker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:43 pm

I would tell you to use your connections as much as possible to get on land. North Dakota is getting crowded hunting wise and has lots of posted land now. If you have a connection with land that is huge.
recker
hunter
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:52 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: First Week of November

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:51 am

You never know it all depends on the weather. Generally this is a great time to be in North Dakota, should have mallards in force in early Nov. I wouldn't be too woried about access as long as you have a PLOT map or a connection to hunting land.
I knew this would happen.
User avatar
Full Force Five
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Earth

Re: First Week of November

Postby tbossart » Tue May 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Impossible to say what to expect as its the weather driving everything by then, as has been mentioned. Are you in going to be in the fields, on the water in a boat, or pot holes in the reeds? You really need to be prepared to do at least two of the three and be flexible to move to the birds and react to the weather at the time. Bring a high lift jack. Thats my practical tip as it gets you out of a whole lot of sticky messes on the section lines and in the field. And some orange, just a hat even, to wear when moving in and out of fields or potholes etc.
tbossart
hunter
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Re: First Week of November

Postby tbossart » Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 pm

recker wrote:I would tell you to use your connections as much as possible to get on land. North Dakota is getting crowded hunting wise and has lots of posted land now. If you have a connection with land that is huge.



Having hunted and lived her my entire life and I now gt to hunt from August early goos until the last weekend of pheasant in Jan damn near everey weekend, I can say that while we get some traffic, most people shoudl have no issues getting onto land if they are courteous and simple knock on a few doors. Beyond that, once you find a landowner willing to let ya hunt his land, treat the land, cattle, fences, everything with respect and be sure to cultivate that realtionship by thanking them post hunt. 90% of land owners will let you hunt unless they have family, or themselves going in the spot. The other 10%, well they may just shoot at you as soon as talk to ya...Kidding. but some simply wont let anyone on ever. Just cant be afraid to ask is all. Whats the worst they will do (beisdes shoot at you...kidding), say "No" is all.
tbossart
hunter
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm


Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests