Stutsman County North Dakota

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Stutsman County North Dakota

Postby WildDuckman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Me and a friend have rented a house for a week in Stutsman county for this up coming October.... we are new to this area, the lessor said that find places to hunt would be very easy. Can anyone help with advice. We were told that we would not need to bring a boat... Is this correct? we have dogs to do the retrieving.... The gentleman said that there is plenty of spots to walk in.... We plan on scouting the first day but hope to really get into them.
WildDuckman
hunter

Re: Stutsman County North Dakota

Postby recker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm

The county you are hunting has become crowded. North Daktoa is not like what is used to be. Much of the land is posted now and there is heavy lots of hunters in certain areas. Nobody on these sites will give you spots to hunt anymore other then telling you to scout and ask permission. When I hunt North Dakota I hunt an area of the state that does not have crowds and do pretty well. Good luck and all i can say is scout heavy and ask permission.

WildDuckman wrote:Me and a friend have rented a house for a week in Stutsman county for this up coming October.... we are new to this area, the lessor said that find places to hunt would be very easy. Can anyone help with advice. We were told that we would not need to bring a boat... Is this correct? we have dogs to do the retrieving.... The gentleman said that there is plenty of spots to walk in.... We plan on scouting the first day but hope to really get into them.
recker
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed May 21, 2014 8:25 am

WildDuckman wrote:Me and a friend have rented a house for a week in Stutsman county for this up coming October.... we are new to this area, the lessor said that find places to hunt would be very easy. Can anyone help with advice. We were told that we would not need to bring a boat... Is this correct? we have dogs to do the retrieving.... The gentleman said that there is plenty of spots to walk in.... We plan on scouting the first day but hope to really get into them.

What town? When in Oct? Do you only hunt on water or over it or are you able to field hunt as well? Unless you are seriously only looking to hunt big open water, you do not need a boatat all, more so since you have dogs. The area of the state you are hunting is the prairie pot hole region..in other words there are litterally thousands of small huntable pot holes around. If you are into wearing wadders, throwing out some decoys, and standing in the reeds and waiting and watching ...you will have plenty of opprotunity kill all sorts of ducks. The more you scout the better your potential to " get into them" will be obviously. A lot depends on the timing of things from the weather to the migration... However, no matter whats going on, you can have a hell of a good time just jump shooting what presents itself while you are trying to find the birds. If you can get access to a satalite map of the area you are going to hunt around, you can figure out where the obvious land conditons you want are located as far as size of the water, crops around, etc and in terms of where to start your scouting. Verses just showing up and driving around with a GPS or road map staring up into the sky. A recent satalite picture of the area is worth the money to get. A PLOTS map book is helpful too, just rememebr that you cannot drive into PLOTS without written permission from the land owner on your person. I field hunt exclusivley, but grew up in the sloughs all over the Jamestown area. I know the area you are in well, but it is impossible to tell you " where to hunt" because its never the same duck migration/population wise, weather wise , water level wise or a lot of other variables. However, if you do some home work, are not afraid to ask to hunt posted land( which you should not be shy about doing at all), and are polite when you do, you will be able find tons of opprotunities for great hunting.

I hunt all season starting with early goose in August, so I am on top of the local conditions/migration/harvest info etc, if you shoot me a PM closer to when you are going to be in the state, I will update you best I can as to whats going on.
tbossart
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed May 21, 2014 8:34 am

recker wrote:The county you are hunting has become crowded. North Daktoa is not like what is used to be. Much of the land is posted now and there is heavy lots of hunters in certain areas. Nobody on these sites will give you spots to hunt anymore other then telling you to scout and ask permission. When I hunt North Dakota I hunt an area of the state that does not have crowds and do pretty well. Good luck and all i can say is scout heavy and ask permission.

recker: I hunt that area of the state a ton. I live in Fargo and grew up hunting ONLY stutsman county. Still do a lot. I do not feel there is that much pressure in the area really. Certianly on non-residnet opening weekend the potential for more hunters is there, but honestly I dont feel at all like its gotten crowded. Big state with TONS of habitat to hunt. The posting is a by product of several things, but the reality of the deal is , if you ask 90% plus of the landowners will allow you to hunt. They just want to know who is on their land. Blame the idiots of the world who leave fences open, liter, or disregard the rules of saftey and common sense...but even so, most will allow you to hunt if you ask. Small price to pay. Its hard to " tell people where to hunt" as conditions simply change year to year...scouting is the name of the game in water fowl hunting. We scout easily 2 hours for every hour we shoot, if not more. I will gladly scout for 8 hours to have 1500-2000 green heads show up in the morning over my decoys, ya know?
tbossart
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for the advice and the encouraging post. I will hit you up when the season draws near.
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:29 pm

I have hunted Wells county a number of times and did well for the most part. I usually went the 3rd week of Oct and hunted private land most of the time without issue. You just have to ask and like a previous poster said you can normally get on. Weather can be anything from : too nice, to, cold in a hurry, and that's when to watch for fresh birds. Lots and lots of scouting, and I suggest a plan "B" should someone beat you to the spot in the am.. Not hard to do at all, the first year I went I tent camped the whole week out at LoneTree by Harvey, it was great. Good luck :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby ducks39mn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:17 pm

tbossart i am new to this sight. I am trying to plan a trip to ND this fall for the first time finally. Been trying to for a few years just never worked out. But you seem very knowledgeable and was wondering kinda where to start. We will be doing both field hunting and hunting over water, probably mid to late Oct. What areas would be decent for that, i'm not really looking for the best spots just some decent shooting. How do get the plot maps and how do go about places to stay in the area. I have been looking at some of the areas up there on the maps and most of the towns seem pretty small so hotels would seem to be few and far between. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
ducks39mn
Newb

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting