North Dakota freelancing

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

North Dakota freelancing

Postby razorrt5 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey Fella's, I live west of the twin cities and duck/goose hunting here is okay but my brother and 2 buddies are coming out from Maryland (upper Chesapeake area, great Canada goose hunting there) in late October ( or If ya'll would suggest an earlier time) and was hoping someone would share a decent area we could drive out, scout, lay out a spread get a 3-4 man limit and get on home. I know no one is going to give up there spot but just a general area we could scout and ask a farmer to hunt some land would be greatly appreciated. want to give'em a good experience of prairie pothole duck hunting
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
hunter

Re: North Dakota freelancing

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:56 pm

N 36' 27.08 W 049' 12.86

Tell them I gave you permission to be there.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 pm

But seriously, wish I could help. I'm doin my first freelance hunt up there this year too. I just plan on doin lots of driving and knocking. There's no such thing as a free lunch, you gotta put the work in like all the other thousands of guys up there.

Good luck to ya up there. That time of year should be good, that's when I plan on going as well.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby razorrt5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 am

Thank you sir. the plan is to freelance 1-2 days in ND, drive down and hunt Lac Qui Parle for a day and than back home and hunt locally for 2 days. should be a good time.
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 am

If it were me and my hunt: it's hard to scout, and hunt in 2 days. My rule of thumb is scout as many hours as you plan to hunt. Usually the scouting takes more time that the hunt if done right. :thumbsup:

No one is going to give you exact spots. If you're stuck on 1-2 days bring a water rig and kill the first 6 ducks per guy that comes into the hole. There should be a ton of water there again. You might kill some gads, teal or whatever but you'll have fun.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby tbossart » Tue May 20, 2014 3:20 pm

if you are lookign for smaller pot holes, the central part of the state is better. Best bang for you buck is throw a dart at the map and try and hit Jamestown. Where the dart goes, start there. I have hunted my entire life, well at least since I was 8 and finaly got to go, in this state. That time of year it will simply be a matter of finding the birds where you wish to hunt them...but from the JT area you can go any direction and find birds. The guy who mentioned you need more scouting time is correct, but hoenstly, if you cant find the birds, you can jump shoot ditches and little pot holes all over and kill birds if you are not picky about what ya shoot. Good Luck.
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting