Dates on hunting this next season???

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Dates on hunting this next season???

Postby NCDucksJ3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am

I'm planning on a trip to North Dakota next season with my cousin and a couple buddies. I've already got an area i will be scouting so don't worry about me asking for your "honey hole". This will be my second trip there so i know its all about scouting and getting permission. My question is actually the dates i will be going, (November 8 - 15), is there a good chance it will be frozen? And i know deer season opens then as well so will getting permission be a pain in the butt too?
Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by NCDucksJ3 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NCDucksJ3
hunter

Re: Dates on hunting this next season???

Postby slough » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:14 am

That time frame is tricky. Could be frozen up tight or could be prime or anything in between. Permission is usually much more difficult during deer season.
slough
hunter

Postby NCDucksJ3 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:28 am

So what would your advice be slough?
NCDucksJ3
hunter

Postby rddckhtr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:15 pm

I have hunted ND the past three years during November the challenge is not competing with the land owners deer hunting. Hunting was spectacular last season, year prior we were frozen out. I live in New England and a bad day in ND is better then most days in New England. Go for it and enjoy your stay in North Dakota.

:beer:

Rich D
rddckhtr
hunter

Postby slough » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 am

Go for it.
slough
hunter

Postby NCDucksJ3 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Alright guys thanks for the advice. If it's locked up north looks like I'll just have to pack up and drive south to find them. That's why they call it hunting lot shooting.
NCDucksJ3
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:51 am

Ya, it could be lights out or frozen just depends on the year.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby tbossart » Tue May 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Everyone is spot on in that A) You should come and B) Can be wicked hunting OR could be solid ice, but in that case if there is not a ton of fresh snow and ANY food in the fields, you can field hunt. Just need to find birds. In my experience, going on 36 years of active hunting in this state as a resident my whole life, if there is food to be had that is not covered with snow, the big bad northern green heads will raft up and keep even the smallest hole in open water open and eat for a few days. On a side note, bring some orange gear for sure. Both to wear walking in and out of the pot holes/field, and its never a bad idea to hang an orange hat on the cover semi close to you...we stick a vest and hat on a robo pole behind us about 10 yards in the field this time of the year so as to at least try to avoid getting shot at. So far so good....

Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting