multi bird freelance

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

multi bird freelance

Postby d_westall » Sat May 31, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm hoping you gentlemen can help me out. I've got a group of guys looking to spend a week hunting ducks and upland. What general area should I start looking at for the best combination of ducks, pheasants and possibly Huns. I assume the northwest corner but just guessing. Any guidance or tips on how to do this kind of trip would be greatly appreciated.
d_westall
Newb

Re: multi bird freelance

Postby j.digiacomo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:30 pm

call and get a set of plat maps when they're available. the WPA/WIHA areas are public land - base your trip on where you think the maps look best. lots of freelance guys (myself included) do alot of driving to scout and stay mobile.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm doin the same this year. I just picked a general area, and have started scouring the maps and surrounding areas. Its all a learning experience for me, so I am just flying by the seat of my pants. I think you will find birds no matter where you go, just some may be better than others. I'm not goin for limits, I'm goin to learn the ropes. Good luck.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 am

-Get lodging first, finding a decent place to stay can be tough.
-Get as many maps as possible.
-Move around until you find the birds.
-Upland probably south of I-90 but I don't hunt pheasants.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby TheRam » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:56 pm

I have had great luck as far as waterfowl in the McClusky area and there are a handful of pheasants out there. But I agree with the fact that lodging can be hard to find. Some of the hotels can get pretty interesting t get the job done.
TheRam
Newb

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting