need some advice

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

need some advice

Postby bxtell1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:43 am

i am trying to get a north dakota hunt planned for the 2008 season. i have talked to a few guys about the best place and time to go. we would like to do the hunt without a guide. a friend of mine took 5 guys up to the portal, north dakota area in mid october and did very well on ducks and geese. any information would be helpful.
73 geese
47 teal
8 wd
2 mergansers
16 mallards
1 shoveler
7 gadwall
3 pintail
6 ringneck
7 bluebill
2 redheads
2 cans
bxtell1
Newb

Postby h2oski » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:45 pm

You don't need a guide up here. freelance is the way to go. The only place there isn't ducks is the far eastern part of the state and the far western part of the state.

Plan on lots of time scouting in the vehicle. I have put 150 miles on in a day looking for ducks.

Bring field and water decoys. You never know where you will end up.

Be prepared to move. If it snows up north or the ponds freeze over you may need to move towards the southern end of the state.

Good luck and be safe.
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:02 pm

h2oski wrote:You don't need a guide up here. freelance is the way to go.

Amen my man. Put some wind shield time in and knock on a few doors. That's all you have to do.
NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby bxtell1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:28 pm

i appreciate the help guys, one guy i've been talking to said he used to go up all the way to Portal, ND and like u guys said knocked on doors and did a lot of scouting and had a great hunt. i was thinking about coming up the first or second week of october(when the iowa hunting slows a little). just curious if thats generally a good time to hunt, and if the Portal area is a good starting point. thanks for all your help, any information is greatly appreciated
73 geese
47 teal
8 wd
2 mergansers
16 mallards
1 shoveler
7 gadwall
3 pintail
6 ringneck
7 bluebill
2 redheads
2 cans
bxtell1
Newb

Postby h2oski » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:56 am

1st and 2nd week of October is pheasant opener, so lots of hunters out, but maybe not that far north. Usually land owners hold the land for families and friends during the first few weeks of pheasant season. but like I said, maybe not that far north.
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting