Coming to North Dakota

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Coming to North Dakota

Postby goosebite » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:51 pm

I am coming to Bismarck in May for an co-op internship in Bismarck. I am curious what the pheasant and duck hunting is like in this area? Also, if anyone in the area is willing to make an extra hunting buddy in the fall I wouldn't mind a little company in the field.
goosebite
hunter

Postby h2oski » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:03 am

You picked a great place to do an intern.

I would request a PLOTS Guide from the ND Game and Fish Department. That will show you all of the public land (both state and federal) that you can hunt until you build some relationships with landowners or find some buddies to hunt with.

Usually SE of Bismarck has been good waterfowl, but they are really dry and not much water so you may need to head north of Bis for waterfowl. Lots of WPA's to hunt.

Pheasants are good anywhere south of I-94. The only issue will be the vast amounts of CRP that is coming out of production. This is going to have a huge effect in certain areas in terms of pheasant habitat.

If I get that direction, I will PM you. Always looking for a hunting buddy to share the field with.
Hunt to live, live to hunt

If you can't ski with the big dogs, stay on the dock.
h2oski
hunter

Postby goosebite » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:05 pm

Thanks, H2O. So if i e-mail the fish and game they will send me a PLOTS guide?

I've heard a lot of good things about the PLOTS land but couldn't find any maps of where they are located on the internet.
goosebite
hunter

Postby Matt Jones » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Welcome to ND!

What part of IA are you from? I have aunts and uncles all over NW IA and have done quite a bit of hunting there. It can be decent but it doesn't hold a candle to where you're headed to. If you never hunted ND you're really in for a treat.
Matt Jones
hunter

Postby goosebite » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm from the very southeast corner of Iowa although currently I'm in central Iowa while going to school. I still go back home for duck hunting. We live on the Mississippi River by a town called Montrose and the Illinois side of the river is no hunt refuge. So, you might say it is good duck hunting but it can be very competitive. Here in central Iowa there are few ducks, a fare number of geese, and a lot of pheasants.
goosebite
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 pm

I live in Bismarck and LOVE it. The walleye fishing on the Missouri River is just nuts that time of year and it has been solid for over 6 weeks.

Waterfowl is almost entirely done east of the Missouri R. Like h2o stated, SE is a pretty popular place. I personally spend most of my time north as I have a hunting place about an hour NE of Bismarck.

Is this a 6-month internship?
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby goosebite » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 pm

yeah, I'll be up there till the end of December or beginning of January. What kind of ducks should I expect. I'm not going to be able to bring much hunting gear, just layout blind, waders, gun, clothes, and probably about 3 dz floaters. Particularly, what species of decoys should I bring? I was planning on bringing a mix (1.5 dz mallard, dz gadwall, .5 dz wigeon, and couple sprig).
Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.
goosebite
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 pm

You can hunt pretty much whatever you want. We don't target divers as much but there is plenty of areas. We're hunting mostly puddlers and geese.

We hunt waterfowl all the way to the end.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby goosebite » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm excited to have a longer season. Here in Iowa there is only a total of 60 days duck hunting. I don't do much damage on divers or geese, but I love hunting puddlers. Are there even still ducks around by the end of the season?
goosebite
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 am

goosebite wrote:I'm excited to have a longer season. Here in Iowa there is only a total of 60 days duck hunting. I don't do much damage on divers or geese, but I love hunting puddlers. Are there even still ducks around by the end of the season?

Yes, but my buddies would have my hide if I gave any more details then that. :thumbsup:

You'll enjoy the scouting out here, lots of good looking terrain.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby goosebite » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. :thumbsup:
goosebite
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting