Going insane in ND!!!

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Going insane in ND!!!

Postby goosebite » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 pm

I moved up here in May and so far this is awesome!!! I've seen pheasants in the middle of Bismarck and every time I go target shooting I hear them all around me, it's a good torture:) I can only imagine what duck season will be like. I got a feeling moving up here is going to be one of the best ideas I've ever had.
Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.
goosebite
hunter

Postby NDH2OFOWLER » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:53 am

Welcome to ND!
NDH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby goosebite » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks, I just started doing some volunteer work for the ND game and fish to help pass some time. We will be holding a youth shoot in August and have a youth pheasant hunt before season in September, while helping teach hunter safety of course. What are some other fun activities I could do in ND to pass time till hunting season?

Off the topic, I've started running the dog lately and have been seeing a bird that is not in Iowa. It seems to be a covey bird as i have never seen a single, groups of 2-8 birds. About half the size of a pheasant if not less. Flies slower than a pheasant and almost always has it's legs hanging when it flushes. I haven't had enough chance to see any color distinction. I have been finding them in lower grass (knee high) and it holds pretty tight. Does anyone know what kind of bird this might be?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets.
goosebite
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:22 pm

goosebite wrote:Off the topic, I've started running the dog lately and have been seeing a bird that is not in Iowa. It seems to be a covey bird as i have never seen a single, groups of 2-8 birds. About half the size of a pheasant if not less. Flies slower than a pheasant and almost always has it's legs hanging when it flushes. I haven't had enough chance to see any color distinction. I have been finding them in lower grass (knee high) and it holds pretty tight. Does anyone know what kind of bird this might be?

Sounds like a Hungarian partridge. Probably the best eating bird in ND, hands down.

There is a Delta Waterfowl event in Bismarck on Aug. 14th: http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/chapters/ ... _index.php I'm a Canvasback Sponsor, never miss.

See you there.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby pj » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 am

Are you close to water? They could be rails.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting