Land law opinion sought

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Land law opinion sought

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Land law opinion sought
The Forum
Published Friday, September 12, 2008
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index. ... ction=news
State Capitol Bureau

BISMARCK – A western North Dakota lawmaker is asking the attorney general to rule on whether a state law barring the separate sale of hunting rights to tracts of land is unconstitutional.

Rep. Rod Froelich, D-Selfridge, gave a letter for Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem on Thursday seeking the opinion.

The issue is whether hunting rights can be “severed” in the same way mineral rights and surface owner rights are often sold separately.

The 2007 Legislature put a two-year moratorium on the practice and then set up an interim study of the issue. The interim Natural Resources Committee recently voted to pursue a bill that would make the ban permanent.

Froelich thinks such a ban violates property owners’ rights to do what they wish with their land. He said that in his area, such agreements on land sales have been happening for 40 years and there isn’t a problem with willing buyers and sellers who make the transactions.

“We sever coal, oil, everything else,” he said.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goldhunter470 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 pm

I think this is absolutely insane. If you own the land, do with it what you will for the most part. If someone goes in later and tries to buy the land and they can't have the hunting rights, I say tough. You know what you're getting into when you buy it. It's just the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.
Input that enables becomes thoughts that smother.
goldhunter470
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting