FIRST TIME IN ND, HELP!!!!

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

FIRST TIME IN ND, HELP!!!!

Postby wibirdkilla » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:17 pm

hey guys, how ya doing, first time blogger as well as first time out to North Dakota coming up in the middle of October. Me, my father and his friend are traveling from Wisconsin to Bismarck ND in hopes of shooting some ducks, pheasant, (and geese if the duck hunting isnt producing like we hope). We are very unfamilar with the area and supposedly my fathers buddy know some guys who are going to "lead" us in the right direction. We have read that water levels are extremely low and that migration is early for the year so obviously we are concerned that they may not be ducks in the middle of the state. If anyone can give any advice as to areas around there that have produced birds this season, or give any information on how the potholes are faring, or any information on how they are doing, advice, etc... it would be greatly appreciated. also if you have any advice/information on how this has affected the pheasant hunting... we would love to hear that also. We are completely new to the world of prarie pothole hunting in N.D. but we are very excited and looking forward to our trip!!!! thank you
wibirdkilla
Newb

nd duck hunting

Postby woodynd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 am

I live in Fargo, so do not know a lot about the Bismarck area except what I hear. Most of the center & western part of the state is quite dry. A lot more water & potholes to east & north. A good site to look at is www.fishingbuddy.com. They have a waterfowl forum on there and you can post ?'s on the main forum also. Good luck and thanks for visiting our fine state.
woodynd
Newb

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 am

I would also look at http://www.nodakoutdoors.com (another site in our network) - fishingbuddy is mostly for fishing.

You'll be fine for pheasants - plenty out here. It is dry but the migration is ahead of schedule this year and they are there is you put on the miles.

Don't expect to see too many potholes, big water is mostly all that's left.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby wibirdkilla » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 pm

thanks alot guys, lifting my spirits alittle bit, how exactly does the pheasant hunting work? i see all of these videos on the hunting channel of guys putting up like 10 birds at once. is your pheasant population that strong that you can seriously put up birds like that in MOST of the public hunting grounds? because here in wisconsin public hunting sucks for pheasants and were lucky to put up one bird within 4 hours of walking
wibirdkilla
Newb

Postby wibirdkilla » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm

can anyone post a reply and offer anything on how the pheasant hunting works? If you can, please read my last comment and then any advice on that would be excellent.
wibirdkilla
Newb

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Yes you can get 10 birds up at once not that hard been working in nd this year see a sh--load of pheasants.. I live in SD so 10 birds is below average. When it snows and they bunch up maybe 50 to 100 will come out of a little cattail slew. or like last year on the last day of the season 10 people walked in and had 30 in 10 minutes of none stop shooting. Alot of that crap on the outdoor channel are tame birds to so hard to judge anything off of that.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting