Duck Hunting Forum banner

Advice for A trip to North Dakota

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Full Force Five 
#1 ·
I'm trying to plan a trip next fall for some early season waterfowl hunting. I'd like to head somewhere where I can harvest a wider variety of birds that I just don't see here in Ohio. Everyone I've talked to says go to North Dakota, so I'm trying to figure out A) where in North Dakota, B) which week in October is typically the most productive time, and C) are there any recommended outfitters. I hate looking for outfitters based upon Google because you never know what you're going to get. I lived in Florida for a while and would take day trips to other parts of the state for offshore fishing and I feel like I always got burned on the ones with the best website. The small time good ole boys without a website always put us on more fish and at a lower cost. The most important thing to me is the hunting, so the grandiose lodges and amenities are unnecessary, I'll stay in a motel 6 if I have to. Can anyone recommend a location, time, and outfitter that'll give me the most bang for my buck? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Let me just add that I've read and read on DIY and it gives me severe anxiety to go that route because of how land is governed where I live. The idea of PLOT land is completely foreign. Just about every acre of property in the state is privately owned, and getting permission is pretty difficult unless you have a personal relationship with the landowner. The idea of being able to just head out to a place on the map and walk in to hunt is crazy to me. I don't know if anyone can pm me a general idea of how to take on such an adventure and where to start, but I don't intend on this post helping the World Wide Web of Internet scouters. I just don't want to drive 20hrs and take a week off work to end up lost and not even hunting. I'm still pretty new to waterfowl hunting in general, but I'm addicted to it and willing to work for success. I appreciate you guys and any help you can offer.

#3 ·
Just to be upfront, you won't get much help on here about outfitters or general areas. If you are willing to work for success, try the week off and DIY. Posted land is the norm now and PLOTS isn't what it used to be. There are no areas in the waterfowl areas of the state that are void of NR or resident activity. That being said, you will need to put in the miles, unless you'd like to let the outfitter do it for you and just show up and shoot.

There is enough information in this forum from all the other guys asking the same questions. Do some reading and you'll get a lot of your questions answered.

#5 ·
I wouldn't say they're unwelcome, but it's getting to the point where many areas of the state are quite busy with hunters, at least by ND standards. Most ND hunters would like to maintain some semblance of those standards so they aren't necessarily going to tell you where to go. If you're set on the outfitter option, although unfortunate as it will ruin ND just like it has most other good waterfowling states for the non-wealthy, I'm sure about any one could help you shoot some ducks in ND as it's not very difficult to do. Timing's a crap shoot, if you want easy shooting at brown ducks come early Oct, if you want maybe a little more hit or miss conditions but prettier birds come late Oct. The later it is the more weather dependent as if it's warm you may not see much.

#7 ·
don novicki said:
My advice would be to go to Canada instead. Better hunting and very little posted land, plus they actually LIKE hunters in Canada. Just my 2 cents....... :thumbsup:
I would agree you might as well just keep going up to canada. Much much less pressure and easier go get on land. North Dakota is not anything like it was 15 years ago and the guides are slowly leasing up more and more land.

#8 ·
My last trip to NoDak was 2011. The hunting wasn't that great and the amt. of posted land was almost the same as Pa.. I don't need to drive 1250 miles only to hear "NO" at just about every place I stopped. It's sad because NoDak was a great place to hunt before everyone posted everything........

#10 ·
I went fall 2014 for my first time, spent a lot of time reading on forums, DU magazines, and countless hours looking over maps. All that being said we spent a week out there and did well. We went early, all the ducks were brown, but they all ate the same. I was able to shoot bucket list birds and even got one mounted for the wall.

We are planning on going again this fall and I am very excited. We only hunted PLOTS land, put the miles on and scout, there are plenty of birds. We ran into a couple of other groups and had to go to plan C one day because our spots were already taken but have back up plans and it wont be an issue. Most of our hunting was done within a 15 mile radius of the house we rented. We go a few days early to scout and put a plan together, every day after the morning hunt a few guys would stay at the house to nap and make dinner while others went out and scouted for the next day. It worked out perfect. I suggest staying away from the areas DU and all the other out of state hunters go because im sure thats where all the leased up land is. Do your research and dont go into it thinking about killing limits, its a fun trip, bring the camera and enjoy the vast amount of birds you will see.

#12 ·
ND is still really great. I would in early October. You'll shoot plenty of mallards, teal, gads, pintails and widgeon. We almost always get into early migrating divers like cans and pintails if you get a little cool weather in Canada. Pick an area away from "major" cities. Get a PLAT Map, critical for local land owners and also Delorme.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.