Planning Fall Trip...next year

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Planning Fall Trip...next year

Postby Miyagi-gooseman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm planning a trip next fall with some buddies and was hoping to find out some info from local guys. We are gonna be heading out for a week and a half from CO and are thinking of heading to SD, ND, IA and NE before heading back home. Probably in the same order I noted above. I am somewhat familiar with NW Iowa (wife is from Estherville) and I know there are lots of public land to hunt. what time of year is best for both ducks and geese? If is difficult to get permission to hunt private land like corn fields for geese? Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Miyagi-gooseman
hunter

Re: Planning Fall Trip...next year

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Miyagi-gooseman wrote:what time of year is best for both ducks and geese? If is difficult to get permission to hunt private land like corn fields for geese? Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on the area and what types of ducks and geese you want....big canadas, little canadas, snows....

divers....puddlers....etc.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Miyagi-gooseman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:52 am

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be hunting with a few other buds and it will be more about the trip than the hunting....however, that does not mean we do not want to experience good hunts. any type of goose will do but there is something about those giants locked and coming in. As for ducks, looking for puddlers mainly. Not opposed to divers but not sure if a boat blind is required. We might have mine ready in time for the trip. Thanks for your help.

Miyagi
Miyagi-gooseman
hunter

Postby nek9handler » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:15 am

I had a great hunt in North Dakota and found most landowners very nice and helpful and we did not get turned down once for hunting their fields and potholes.

We did not go up until the 17th of Nov also.

Lots of ducks still in the area compared to the east side of nebraska at least.

We shot 35 ducks and 19 geese in three days and we did not hunt that hard so it was fun.

Bill

:thumbsup:
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Miyagi-gooseman wrote:Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be hunting with a few other buds and it will be more about the trip than the hunting....however, that does not mean we do not want to experience good hunts. any type of goose will do but there is something about those giants locked and coming in. As for ducks, looking for puddlers mainly. Not opposed to divers but not sure if a boat blind is required. We might have mine ready in time for the trip. Thanks for your help.

Miyagi

We got big boys really early or late in the year. In October there's often a lull.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Bismarck area hunting

Postby nsutter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:08 am

Hello guys
I am from Northern California and I will be making a trip next duck season to the Bismarck area. I am Umary alumni(1997) and want to make a football game next year. I went to Umary on a football scholarship and Everytime I had a sunday hunt planned, I got hurt in Saturday's game. my biggest regret was not going duck hunting while I was there. I was able to go pheasant hunting up north from Bismarck. We went with about 8 guys and we all got limits. The pheasant were getting out of the corn field like ducks off a pond....I couldnt belive my eyes!!..

are there any public lands to hunt on in the bismarck area? I was thinking of possibly hiring a guide to take me out if there are giudes in ND?? I was also thinking that there has to be some land-owners in the alumni association that will either take me hunting or let me hunt their land... Any Umary alumni out there???
nsutter
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting