Planing first trip to nd

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Planing first trip to nd

Postby Wisconsin hunter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Planing a trip to North Dakota this upcoming fall. Looking for places to stay for 7 or 8 days. Would be for 6 to 10 people hunting ducks,geese, and crane. Looking for farmers,landowners that would be willing to let us come on there property. We are looking for field hunting,pot holes,sloughs with duckskiff accessibility if needed.
Wisconsin hunter
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Planing first trip to nd

Postby BGipson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 am

Wisconsin hunter wrote:Planing a trip to North Dakota this upcoming fall. Looking for places to stay for 7 or 8 days. Would be for 6 to 10 people hunting ducks,geese, and crane. Looking for farmers,landowners that would be willing to let us come on there property. We are looking for field hunting,pot holes,sloughs with duckskiff accessibility if needed.

Pick a town and do a Google search to find lodging. As far as landowners, you're WAAAAYYYY off course for getting permission.... all I can say is good luck....
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 pm

BGipson wrote:
Wisconsin hunter wrote:Planing a trip to North Dakota this upcoming fall. Looking for places to stay for 7 or 8 days. Would be for 6 to 10 people hunting ducks,geese, and crane. Looking for farmers,landowners that would be willing to let us come on there property. We are looking for field hunting,pot holes,sloughs with duckskiff accessibility if needed.

Pick a town and do a Google search to find lodging. As far as landowners, you're WAAAAYYYY off course for getting permission.... all I can say is good luck....

Why is he wayyyyy off course ? I ask because I'm coming up this year also and from what I have read if the land isn't posted it can be hunted . I would rather ask permission tho . I plan on hunting the St Johns area .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:33 pm

threedogs wrote:
BGipson wrote:

Why is he wayyyyy off course ? I ask because I'm coming up this year also and from what I have read if the land isn't posted it can be hunted . I would rather ask permission tho . I plan on hunting the St Johns area .

Because farmers aren't trolling DHC looking for hunters for their fields; plus, trying to lock down a field this far in advance is just ludicrous. Get there, put the miles in scouting, find the birds, find the farmer, get permission, kill birds... rinse and repeat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby threedogs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:22 am

Yes, that was obvious . I thought there might be a hidden meaning otherwise . Thanks for replying .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 am

threedogs wrote:
BGipson wrote:

It seems crazy, but if it's not posted the landowner usually does not care. Land needed to be posted, signed, and dated every year so lots of farmers just didn't feel like keeping up with that, but they changed that law and now signs can be permanent, so lots more guys are posting land now.

I wouldn't spend that much time trying to track down the landowner of a non-posted field or slough. I'll ask a nearby house but if they aren't home or don't know who owns it's, I'll just hunt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
rat-tailed snitch

Postby threedogs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:
threedogs wrote:
BGipson wrote:

It seems crazy, but if it's not posted the landowner usually does not care. Land needed to be posted, signed, and dated every year so lots of farmers just didn't feel like keeping up with that, but they changed that law and now signs can be permanent, so lots more guys are posting land now.

I wouldn't spend that much time trying to track down the landowner of a non-posted field or slough. I'll ask a nearby house but if they aren't home or don't know who owns it's, I'll just hunt it.

That's kind of the way I'm leaning . I'm also thinking of the pothole region around St Johns for my first hunt there . Am I correct in assuming an ooser can only hunt a 14 day period ?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Planing first trip to nd

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes, depending on the zone and license. But max is 14 days and can be split into two 7 day periods.

MinnesotaDan
rat-tailed snitch

Postby threedogs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks MD . I doubt I'll hunt for 14 days , that's a lot of ducks to eat to stay legal . lol
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby webfootwacker1331 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Good luck,we were in south central n.d. last fall.17 miles square from our town and only 2 fields were unposted and it was just a few plowed fields.Most of the land was leased out or they had family and friends that hunted.I dont blame farmers after we talked to a number of them,they were fed up with the trash and total disrespect for the land.WPAs had pick ups at every enterance.We even had friends that let us on in the past 30 years and last year outfitters leased out thier fields...We will be heading to canada next year,before it gets too bad,which I hear it is getting close.
webfootwacker1331
Newb

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 pm

I've also heard the stories about guides and out of state guys not being respectful.

Its a different culture out there. Its a small community where everyone knows eachother, so when people come out there and act like they don't care what other people think, the locals are really taken aback by that. But if you knock on doors, shake peoples hand, and look them in the eye, they are generally receptive.
MinnesotaDan
rat-tailed snitch

Postby threedogs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm thinking the closer to get to areas, as in just across state lines and close to cities are hit harder by oosers than out of the way areas . Thus the constant barrage of people running up and down the roads asking for permission and maybe just forgetting to ask that contributes to more and more posted areas . I plan on hunting the north center and north west area of the state and hopefully wont run in to a lot of opposition . Maybe my logic is a little goofy but hey , I'm a little goofy anyway .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Draw a 100 mile circle around Devils Lake, and 30 miles on either side of Hwy 2 and I94. Don't hunt those area. Valley City to Jamestown gets his haarrrrd. SE ND get hit hard, Devils to Rugby gets hit hard. Cooperstown gets hit haarrrdddd. You can still do go hunting water in those areas but field hunting gets wack. Basically everywhere gets hit but it still ain't hit as hard as MN.

MinnesotaDan
rat-tailed snitch

Postby threedogs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:49 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:Draw a 100 mile circle around Devils Lake, and 30 miles on either side of Hwy 2 and I94. Don't hunt those area. Valley City to Jamestown gets his haarrrrd. SE ND get hit hard, Devils to Rugby gets hit hard. Cooperstown gets hit haarrrdddd. You can still do go hunting water in those areas but field hunting gets wack. Basically everywhere gets hit but it still ain't hit as hard as MN.

I don't have one field decoy . I plan on hunting potholes BUT I promise , NO roosts. I will be pulling my boat behind my 5th wheel so I'll have a place to stay no matter what area I end up hunting and the boat wont be used in N.D but will need it in Iowa , Kansas , Missouri and Arkansas .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:36 pm

I bring my canoe with every fall I hunt ND but I haven't used it once.

MinnesotaDan
rat-tailed snitch

Postby FishuntNC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Pick a spot go out there and have fun. Don't worry about all the hate over hunting water. If that's what you like roll with it. Had some amazing hunting out there and also had some really slow hunting. If you can leave on a whim and watch the weather youll be better as far as timing. It's a beautiful state and the hunting is what you make of it!
FishuntNC
Newb

Postby threedogs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:58 pm

FishuntNC wrote:Pick a spot go out there and have fun. Don't worry about all the hate over hunting water. If that's what you like roll with it. Had some amazing hunting out there and also had some really slow hunting. If you can leave on a whim and watch the weather youll be better as far as timing. It's a beautiful state and the hunting is what you make of it!

I'm going to hunt water but I'll not bust a roost , at least not on purpose . I was taught better .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:48 am

Does it make a difference of hunting during the week or weekends in regards to hunting pressure? I am planning my first trip to just enjoy the experience. I am 55 and each year I am just happy to still be able to get out there. This might be my one and only trip but want to give it a shot.....Lol at least once.
quigby979
hunter

Postby GTMODawg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm in the very early planning of a trip to Saskatchewan next year and I have been told there are plenty of opportunities to hunt ducks and to a lesser extent geese over water in North Dakota and I had a couple of questions.

Reading these forums it seems that if land is not posted it is ok to hunt it??? It is that way more or less here in New Mexico but looking at North Dakota on Google earth compared to New Mexico it seems like a duck hunting paradise. Are most of the potholes in the north central area of the state actually water holding pot holes (we have playas here but they only hold water about once a lifetime if then)? Are most of them posted or is possible to actually ride highways and find areas to hunt? Are most of the pot holes wadeable or would a boat be necessary? Finally is it practical to expect some level of access to private fields? I am pretty good at asking and getting permission but the difficult thing is usually finding the person who can grant permission???

I am thinking a 3-4 day trip in Saskatchewan and maybe a week of scouting and hunting somewhere in the area between Bismark and Minot? Is that remotely realistic?
GTMODawg
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting