No dog

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

No dog

Postby miken » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Going up to ND in the fall and we don't have a dog. Some guys are wondering if we will need to bring a boat or canoe or will be okay just with waders?
miken
hunter

Postby Threecar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 pm

I've shot a lot of ducks in the Dakota's without a dog. Most of the smaller shallower wetlands hold the majority of ducks or get permission to hunt a crop field. I have a dog now but it is not needed.
"purge the taint"
Threecar
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Lived and hunted hard here all my life and never owned a dog. We do the vast majority of our hunting in fields and shallow sloughs.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Re: No dog

Postby fetchingfloyd » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 am

I would rather leave my gun home than my dog. :thumbsup: If you have never hunted with a "trained" retriever, you are missing out on one of the greatest parts of hunting waterfowl. i used to hunt years and years ago without one and thought it was a luxury to have a retriever but now days i don't go if i cant bring my dog. Even if you dont "need" a dog to retrieve the ducks, having a good bird dog with you makes the hunt even more memorable, especially when you can take pride in saying you trained that dog yourself. For me, hunting is more than just pulling the trigger, its about the "experience" and having a dog will add to that experience like nothing else can. Plus, if your wife packed you a ham ham sandwich and you wanted turkey, you can always feed it to the dog the dog will never say a word. :yes: :thumbsup:
fetchingfloyd
DHC Sponsor

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 am

I agree with ya, a well trained dog is a luxury for any waterfowler.

With family, work, outdoors and owning 2 ankle biters already....I just don't have the time to train a dog.

Besides, retrieving is alright....I need the exercise. :thumbsup:
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby fetchingfloyd » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Chris Hustad wrote: retrieving is alright....I need the exercise. :thumbsup:

if its exercise your lookin for, come out west.....I am sure my lab would love to have the day off and sleep in. lol lol :yes:

one thing about hunting out here, we have huge man made marshes with a lot of open water and deep mud that you have to often run down cripples in and having a dog do the work for you is almost a neccessity when your lungs are burning from chasing a cripple down for a hundred yards or more in deep gooey sticky mud that will pull your boots off if your not carefull.
fetchingfloyd
DHC Sponsor

Postby labman63 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm

A dog is a must for me. We hunt with two at time. I wouldn't go without one of my dogs(I have 4).
labman63
hunter

Postby fetchingfloyd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:32 pm

i am the same way for upland, i always take 2 dogs for pheasants and blue grouse. for waterfowl i usually only take one of mine out. i have 10 dogs but some are shorthairs that i am training to sell.
fetchingfloyd
DHC Sponsor

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:32 am

From 12 to 19 had a dog and never relized how much he did. But from 20 to 23 with college and everything else did not have one after falling in the water a few times chasing cripples i said never agin. i have 2 now and dont leave home with out them. You will be just fine with out one but i would bring a couple sets of dry close i found that out the hard way :biggrin:
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting