PLANING A TRIP TO NORTH DAKOTA

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

PLANING A TRIP TO NORTH DAKOTA

Postby waterfowljunkie986 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:00 pm

HI .... so Im trying to plan a trip to north dakota this oct. Im looking to go near devils lake im looking for green heads and geese
ive herd good things about some of the back bays of devils lake and ive herd theres alot of WMA's in the area Im trying to take 8 guys out there ............im just looking for a little help so any info would be greatly appreciate it ..........thanx
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
waterfowljunkie986
hunter

Re: PLANING A TRIP TO NORTH DAKOTA

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:16 am

waterfowljunkie986 wrote:HI .... so Im trying to plan a trip to north dakota this oct. Im looking to go near devils lake im looking for green heads and geese
ive herd good things about some of the back bays of devils lake and ive herd theres alot of WMA's in the area Im trying to take 8 guys out there ............im just looking for a little help so any info would be greatly appreciate it ..........thanx

You're taking 8 guys? That's a handful to hide.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby labman63 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:36 pm

Like Chris said. We went with 4 last yr and cut it back to just two of us for this yr. To hard to hide that many.
labman63
hunter

Postby waterfowljunkie986 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:55 pm

OK ....so let me rephrase that 8 of us are going out the we will be in groups of 2-4 hunters and a dog Im going to be out there a few days befor our group gets in to town to scout the area and get some first day spots set up and talk to some land owners .... I just don't really know the area and i want my buddys flying from the marines to have a good time and shoot some nice birds...thanx
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
waterfowljunkie986
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Honestly, put on some miles and you'll find what you're looking for. I've hunted that area a ton through the years and there's plenty of water, you just need to pick a direction and go. :thumbsup:
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Can » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:31 pm

My advice is to get a good map and scout the night before you hunt!! There are alot of pot holes so you will not need a boat. I go there every year and never hunt Devils Lake. There are just so many pot holes and they all contain different species of ducks. You will have a very hard time finding land owners, because most farming is contracted. If the land is posted call the number, if not you can legally hunt it but no four wheelers and pick up your stuff when done. You will have to do some driving but you can easily limit out. But do not go there with the attitude that Green Heads are what you are after. There are every species and you can't pick and choose what ducks are using, that is just too hard in this area, mainly because all species use the same pot holes.
You will get cans, BWT, gadwalls, al ot of Ringbills, bluebills, and try not to shoot too many Hollywoods. But a lot depends on the weather. Be prepared to walk. You need maybe 15 decoys per bunck.

Good Luck!!

The E
Mr. Can
hunter

Postby waterfowljunkie986 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 pm

thanx for all the help im thinkin im gunna head north towards southam or up near 5 in alsen or loma area .... so you can hunt any open property as long as its not posted ??? and so where do i find some honkers in this state ... thanx again for all your help
waterfowljunkie986
hunter

Postby nek9handler » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:15 am

Depending on how cold it is will depend on how many Honkers are in the area but they are thick

We go up every year and hunt 4-5 guys max

This year looks like three
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Postby waterfowljunkie986 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:07 pm

im planing on being there on Oct. 16th to the 27th ..... how easy is it to find some feilds to hunt ?
waterfowljunkie986
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:04 am

waterfowljunkie986 wrote:im planing on being there on Oct. 16th to the 27th ..... how easy is it to find some feilds to hunt ?

Just requires miles and knocking on doors.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Can » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:27 am

A lot of wma's in ND so get a good map and use your computer to get a good look at them
Mr. Can
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:38 am

I have been working around cathay nd for the last 2 weeks and all i can say is wow. There are thousands of ducks and geese in that little area i have seen. Flooded corn fields slews it has everything you can dream of. It is 60 miles south of dl and i have seen alot of land that is not posted. Makes me wish i was a resident because there are geese there that fly over the asphalt plant every morning land in the same field and no one is hunting them. It is worth your time to check out that area i have never seen so many ducks in one area this time of year it is a beatiful site to watch them every morining and evening.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting