Opening day success?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Opening day success?

Postby Wags » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:52 pm

Anybody have a successful opening day this weekend? What did you see the most of, or bag? I'll do a little field hunting near the house towards the end of the week from a freshly cut soybean field. Then next Monday I'll hunt the Ottawa Wildlife Preserve on the lottery hunt I won this fall. I'll keep you posted.

Wags
Wags
hunter

Postby vanvo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:27 am

got three geese on opening day and saw a few ducks. saturday oru group got four geese and on monday we got seven geese. have seen a few ducks but they havent shown any interest
vanvo
hunter

opening weekend

Postby bluebilldays » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:29 pm

Well saturday was a bust for us. Thought we had a spot, and you know how that works. Only had one come in and yes go figure I missed i't. Sunday was much better, there was three of us, six geese and two mallards in 45 min. That was real nice, but I hate to limit out that fast, just dosen't seem right. Even though I really don't like to goose hunt this early in the year, there just seems to not be many ducks around. Thinking on hitting Sandusky Bay this weekend. Will have to scout it though and see if anything new showed up. Hopefully there will be a few divers in to.
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby Wags » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:41 pm

Thanks for the report guys. Hopefully with the weather cooling down we'll be getting the northern migration soon and it will pick up. Spoke with a friend earlier tonight that lives in Ottawa County and he said not much duck action so far. Another friend who just cut his soybean and field corn in Perrysburg still isn't seeing much activity. I'll wait until next week sometime when it cools down a little more and try some goose field hunting.

Where I live in Perrysburg (city limits) I see "popcorn" drake and hen mallards everyday in the big pond. Up to 30 a day. Monday is my Ottawa Wildlife Preserve lottery hunt and I'll post that afternoon or evening how it went.

Wags
Wags
hunter

Postby vanvo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:55 am

went out this mornin and saw about five hundred geese but they stayed a few miles away. when we had everything picked up more took off from some ponds near by and we layed down with no decoys and got three. have seen about three dozen ducks around but now have even come close.
vanvo
hunter

Postby vanvo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:57 am

also we saw three groups of migrating geese of about a hundred or more in each group. i assume there migrating because they were very high.
vanvo
hunter

Postby vanvo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:13 pm

went out today at three and we ended up with seven geese.
vanvo
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:15 pm

I have been out everyday but 2 since season opened, shot Michigan for the opener 6 man limit in 1 hour 35mins great shoot I scratched a limit yesterday morning and this morning, didn't come easy though,pic is ofbirds from yesterday, those are a few puddlers I made my first black over my blacks and mallard

This weather moving in and these NE winds will be nice for this weekend I am thinking, hopefully get some birds in, then I leave for Canada on Sunday! :salude: :getdown:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby vanvo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:22 pm

action here has slowed down to nothing at all. theres about a 150 ducks and about three to foru hundred geese here. they stay in city limits and the ducks just follow the geese from field to roost. finally monday mornin a new flock of geese showed up and they were very small. smallest geese ive ever seen, got three. the totals for the season are 55 geese and four ducks that early season also added in there. thats for our group of four
vanvo
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting