Dove Field Rant

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Dove Field Rant

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 pm

I do this annually it seems... :hammer:

That State works hard under limited budget each year to provide good, managed dove field opportunities on public land and it is BEYOND ME how many slobs pay the state back by leaving so much trash, hulls, shell boxes, and even empty cases (boxes) lying in the field when they are done. Water bottles, snickers wrappers, you-name-it...these pigs leave it behind.

It's embarrassing and pathetic.

If I provided that resource to guys and my hard work to give a good experience was left that way...I'd be REALLY pissed.

More tickets need to be written on unlawful trash. Book 'em Danno!
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Dove Field Rant

Postby jsa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:39 am

I couldn't agree with you more. There's a general lack of class amongst many. It's not just dove fields, it's any public hunting area.

I've only hunted for a few years but I grew up enjoying the outdoors. My philosophy has always been to leave a place a little cleaner than I found it. Why is it so hard to crouch down and grab your snickers wrapper, Gatorade bottle, empty hulls, etc...?
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:05 am

jsa wrote:I've only hunted for a few years but I grew up enjoying the outdoors. My philosophy has always been to leave a place a little cleaner than I found it.

Amen! :thumbsup:

What's concerning is the VAST gap between that mindset and the pigs. I do not get it! :mad:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Went out to a field a couple weeks after opening weekend and walked the edge of the sunflowers seeing if I could kick up anything since nobody else was out there...and picked up trash on the way out...found like 3 empty beers cans, gotta be freaking kidding me.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Its not just about leaving trash laying around, public land is full of idiots period. More often than not, the people out there have no respect for the outdoors, no knowledge about what they are doing, and have no business handling firearms or weapons of any kind, let alone near others. Reminds me about a time last season...Me and a buddy were driving down a long driveway leaving a public hunting area when we see something laying on the side of the pavement. We slowed down to check it out and realized it was a badly wounded dog. We pulled the truck over and got out only to be approached by some slob hunter with a cross bow asking "how do you like that coyote i shot?" We showed him that the "coyote" was wearing a collar. My buddy ended up shooting the dog in the parking lot to put the poor thing out of its misery, it was beyond help.

I stay off of public land if I can help it at all. I was taught to respect the outdoors. The way people behave out there makes me sick.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:47 am

Botiz630 wrote:We slowed down to check it out and realized it was a badly wounded dog. We pulled the truck over and got out only to be approached by some slob hunter with a cross bow asking "how do you like that coyote i shot?" We showed him that the "coyote" was wearing a collar. My buddy ended up shooting the dog in the parking lot to put the poor thing out of its misery, it was beyond help.

Seriously??? OUCH. Did you guys call the GW?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:16 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:We slowed down to check it out and realized it was a badly wounded dog. We pulled the truck over and got out only to be approached by some slob hunter with a cross bow asking "how do you like that coyote i shot?" We showed him that the "coyote" was wearing a collar. My buddy ended up shooting the dog in the parking lot to put the poor thing out of its misery, it was beyond help.

Seriously??? OUCH. Did you guys call the GW?

True story man. And no, we did not call the GW. Should have, but did not think about it at the time. The guy booked it out of there when he realized he had just killed someone's pet, we were focused on cleaning up his mess and didnt think to make a phone call until after the fact.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Nomeite » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:49 am

Wow... I woke up this morning and I was in a great mood but after reading these post I was brought back into reality. It is a shame that our fellow hunters are so lazy and careless. Picking up after yourself and caring for our enviroment is just part of being a man, it is just the way I see it.

I try to make it a point to show my son how to behaive he is only two, when we go picking berries I alway have a bag in my coat poket for trash that I find on the turdra. I show my son that I'm picking up trash and he gets so excited he stops picking and eating blackberries and is looking for trash to give to me. I love it.
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
Nomeite
hunter

Postby jsy0175 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:53 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Went out to a field a couple weeks after opening weekend and walked the edge of the sunflowers seeing if I could kick up anything since nobody else was out there...and picked up trash on the way out...found like 3 empty beers cans, gotta be freaking kidding me.

the bad part is if u do pick up those beer cans and the warden checks u how do u try to explain that they r not yours......sure it is the ole breathalizer test but hey it is just doing the right thing that can get u into some trouble or even just a hassle.
did u fart or is that just the swamp!
jsy0175
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:09 pm

jsy0175 wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Went out to a field a couple weeks after opening weekend and walked the edge of the sunflowers seeing if I could kick up anything since nobody else was out there...and picked up trash on the way out...found like 3 empty beers cans, gotta be freaking kidding me.

the bad part is if u do pick up those beer cans and the warden checks u how do u try to explain that they r not yours......sure it is the ole breathalizer test but hey it is just doing the right thing that can get u into some trouble or even just a hassle.

An empty beer can is not a crime and all wardens I have met would be smart enough to know the difference.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Agree with the above statement. Any logical person can tell that you are picking up trash.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 am

jsy0175 wrote:

I'll go thru the hassle...and any game warden worth his/her salt would realize that I was picking up trash along with all the other trash that I threw in my backpack.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Peregrine » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:53 pm

What really kills me about the litterbugs...and I mean this really GRINDS me up,is that if they are perfectly willing to bother with hauling something in,isnt it alot easier to haul it out? I mean c'mon man! A candy bar on the way in is reduced to nothing more than paper that can be stuffed in your pocket on the way out. Cans and plastic bottles can be smashed down and they are alot
lighter after drinking their contents, so no excuse there.If you bring it in, please just bring it back out.
Sadly, I doubt that anyone that is guilty of this wouldnt bother reading a topic like this.
Also sad, some of these same people consider themselves "sportsmen" or "outdoursmen" or even fishermen or hunters.
I recently came across a "campsite" that was a micro version of a city dump. I seen these people setting up a few days before
when I was fishing at the small lake next to their campsite. I even talked to one of the guys when he came down to fish...with
his kid. Nice guy. Unfortunately, the guy, his family, and his friends turned out to be miserable slobs who left litterally every
piece of garbage they had on the beutiful little bluff overlooking the lake. I just couldnt believe it when I came back a couple days later and seen it all. This wasnt just candy rappers either...they left behind three days worth of all types of trash, including
babys diapers. I wanted to puke, and I'm not kidding. I'm actually looking forward to meeting up with this guy again, as he mentioned something about living in the area...Dont get me wrong, I'm not a violent person. But I'll be sure to let em at least have an earful. For the amount of trash they left behind, I would say a fine, jail time, and some form of gulag, or at least
revoked privelidges to use public land would be the least that could be done for an appropriate punishment.
Peregrine
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting