Whats Considered Baiting??

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Whats Considered Baiting??

Postby duckinater » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:55 am

Are there any laws in ohio that say a field is baited for a certain period of time after it is picked?? Seems to me a read that somewhere but I cant find it anywhere in the regs. I have an email in to the DNR but havent gotten a response yet... We have a field we want to hunt but as of Oct. 2 it wasnt picked yet....
duckinater
hunter

Re: Whats Considered Baiting??

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:15 am

I have heard that same thing but I aint sure on the exact specifications. I wanna say 10 days but thats a total guess. Ill keep my eyes peeled tho.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 am

Here is what it says on the DNR website.

"On or over a baited area. A baited area is considered to be baited for 10 days after complete removal of any bait. Baiting includes placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory birds to, on or over other areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Agricultural areas must be prepared in accordance with official recommendations to be legally hunted. It is a separate offense to place or direct placement of bait on or adjacent to an area that causes, induces, or allows another to hunt by the aid of bait or over a baited area. Hunters are responsible for ensuring that an area has not been baited and should verify its legality prior to hunting."

Hope this helps u out.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:29 am

Read further down and saw this

"It is unlawful to hunt migratory game birds (waterfowl, rails, and shorebirds) and mourning doves by the aid of baiting or on or over any baited area. The regulations that apply to the baiting of migratory game birds differ from the regulations that apply to the hunting of mourning doves. Migratory game birds may only be taken on areas where grain and other foods exist solely as a result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting. Mourning doves may be taken on areas that have been manipulated for wildlife management purposes. Neither migratory game birds nor mourning doves may be hunted on areas where grain or other feed has been distributed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown. It is unlawful to hunt waterfowl over vegetation or crops that have been mowed or cut. Contact a Division of Wildlife district office or a state wildlife officer for clarification on baiting regulations before you hunt."
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:45 am

BLACKJACK225 wrote:Here is what it says on the DNR website.

"A baited area is considered to be baited for 10 days after complete removal of any bait. Baiting includes placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory birds to, on or over other areas where hunters are attempting to take them.

A field that is planted, harvested and used for normal agricultural purposes is not baited. You can hunt it with no problems no matter how recently the farmer picked it.
B Squad Captain

I can't come to your party, there's a rumor going around that you don't have WiFi.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby duckinater » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:56 am

thats what I am looking for... Im going to call our local guy anyways to find out... Hes a yound one and from what I have heard can be quite a jerk... (by jerk I mean walking right out in the field to check you at 8:30 in the morning when the geese are just starting to fly.... he pulled that last year on us and we were 100% legal right down to the permission slips.)
duckinater
hunter

Postby duckinater » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:09 am

just talked to the DNR... if its picked in a "conventional" way (ie. not mowed or just driven over) then it is never considered baited.

For dove you can mow it and still hunt it but not for waterfowl.
duckinater
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am

sounds like you are set then. Has your field been picked yet? Where I am they are just starting to get in the fields and harvest.
B Squad Captain

I can't come to your party, there's a rumor going around that you don't have WiFi.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby duckinater » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 am

not sure if its picked yet. They had about 1/4 of the beans picked last week and the ears on the corn were haning down so its just a matter of dry weather now so they can get in there to pick. A field right down the road that the same farmer owns is already picked so I got a backup... :lol3:
duckinater
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting