How's your opener?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

How's your opener?

Postby jsa » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:40 pm

So far I have seen 2 geese and 5 coots. Haven't fired a round yet.

Anybody got good stories yet?
jsa
State Moderator

Re: How's your opener?

Postby tstroud05 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Why is it that I can see geese and ducks on our farm pond daily, but then season opens and there are no waterfowl in site. :fingerhead: Drives me nuts. I walked a river near Caesar Creek last night. Didn't see a thing. Got to the fork and there were a couple of guys hunting there. Didn't see them, but I saw their decoy spread. Oh well, it was a good walk for the dog at least. They just harvested the soy beans out at my parents' place. May throw some deeks out this weekend and see what happens.
Last edited by tstroud05 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:08 pm

I plan on going out on friday. It will be my first time out in ohio this year. Have been hunting the past couple weekends in michigan which has been slower than usual, only managed to scratch out a few birds. Not sure where I will go yet on friday or the rest of the weekend for that matter. none of my usual hunting buddies will be around so I'll be goin solo.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jsa » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I've been out four days this week and finally saw a few ducks flying this morning. Literally just a few though. I've been staying in one spot over open water, I'll bee changing that up next.
The farm I hunt hasn't been cut yet so maybe I'll be getting the canoe out this weekend.
Anyone else?
jsa
State Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:16 pm

I just got home from school for fall break. Was planning on taking the boat out in the morning but when I checked it out I discovered the fuel line leaks. Too late to do anything about it now so I guess I will be heading to one of my back up spots I can walk in to. Not real happy about it cause it is not as good as the places I can go with the boat.

Oh well, I will post up with how I do tomorrow when I get back in. Not expecting a lot from this spot I am gonna hit up. How the morning goes will decide what I do the rest of the weekend.

Good luck this weekend, let us know how you do.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:00 am

Need some rain to fill up some spots!!!! I saw 2 high-flying groups of about 100 each last weekend headed south. Other than that, this time of year it's mostly locals. Goose - 2 Mallards and a Woodie in 3 outings. If I shot doubles better with my O/U it would be 2 Geese, 4 Mallards and Woodie. :yes: One eye on the bird falling and one eye on the second bird puts my shot a wee behind where it needs to be. :no:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:32 am

Zippo this morning.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:38 am

Seems like good early seasons are hard to come by the last couple of years. Dry summers and falls don't help.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby joe33bbx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:13 pm

3 geese and a woodie!!! had about 50 geese on the pond when we arrived. saw 30 or so woodies and a handful of mallards. pond is out in open. we are going to try and get set up with some layout blinds and grass tomm. will let you know how we do.
Attachments
first day of duck season.jpg
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
joe33bbx
hunter

Postby jsa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Glad to hear someone's doing some good.
I didn't get out this morning and I'm headed to The Wilds this weekend.
Noticed the farm I hunt just got cut. I'll be there Sun. for sure.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby Ohio Wildfowler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Two of use on Saturday 17th got 7 mallards and 3 geese and Sunday we got 4 mallards 2 woodies and a goose.Not a bad opening weekend for Grand Lake ST.Marys.
Tim

DU Committee (Miami County)

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow.

There is always a need for speed with steel shot
Ohio Wildfowler
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Chance » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:59 pm

This is my first year really duck hunting so anytime out is enjoyable. Opening day I saw a lot of birds but wasn't able to get them close enough to the decoys for good shot opportunities. One positive, I did ID a group of blue winged teal that came in, I was excited to see them darting around and even more excited that I did not pull the trigger.

Been out a couple more times but it has been really slow. If you guys had some leave built up from work, would you use it now or for the second season in the South. If I don't use my leave by the end of the year I lose it. My wife thinks I should save the leave for when our baby is born, due 11/19/09, but I figure we all ready have 3 she should know what she is doing by now :help:

Best of luck to all,

Chance
Chance
hunter

Postby tstroud05 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Chance wrote: My wife thinks I should save the leave for when our baby is born, due 11/19/09, but I figure we all ready have 3 she should know what she is doing by now

Lol that is classic! That is the best thing I heard all day!
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby crohrer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Chance save for second 1/2 and hope for a lot of rain good luck
crohrer
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting