More black powder geese for the freezer

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

More black powder geese for the freezer

Postby Smokepole » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:16 am

I went back to the pond again Sunday morning. Weather-man calls for 60º today, but currently it is 34º and there was a nice heavy frost.

Set up 18 full body goose decoys, crawled under a nice warm cover and waited for the birds. There were many small flocks of greenheads and woodies flying over the pond, gave them a quick hail, got a response but they kept right on flying.

About 8:00 am 9 Canada's called out to my decoys, gave them a "honk and a growl". They turned into the wind made 3 passes above the decoys and finally sent their wings. When the smoke from the 10 gauge muzzie cleared, there were two geese laying on the water. Tonka, my black Lab, did his job and brought them home.
:getdown:
I'll hold off on the pond until Wed-Thur time frame. This time maybe I'll bring a few duck decoys with me and pay a little more attention to the skies.

It seems all the skeet shooting is paying dividends again this year.

Smokepole
If you must smoke..... make it black powder
Smokepole
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:55 pm

Congrats I think it is very cool you do it with your muzzleloader, I'd liek to try that sometime.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Smokepole » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:23 am

I have seen the layout boats in the Sandusky Bay area but I have yet completely figured out how to reload the muzzie while either sitting flat or laying down.

I thought about a tube with a weight in the bottom that could be attached to the side of the boat. It would stick about 3½ feet into the water. That way I could at least reach the muzzles. Need to work on that a little more.

My only modern guns are a Ruger 28 gauge and a Browning BT100. But neither has seen much action if any in the last 5 or 6 years. Everything I use now is blackpowder. I have been looking for an old hammer gun to use with blackpowder cartridge, but I haven't found exactly what I want in the price range I'm willing to spend.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y147/Griz ... eshow=true

These are some photos from last December. I will post new images when I get my film developed
Smokepole
Smokepole
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:42 pm

Very cool! :thumbsup: What bores to do shoot for geese?

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:02 pm

...and witha flintlock too! Nice to see someone doing it, I hope someday I'll get to do that. :salude: cheers to you!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Smokepole » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:45 am

The side-by-side is a 10 gauge and the flinter is a 16 gauge Chief's Grade Trade Gun. I spend lots of hours shooting skeet at the Sportsman Gun and Reel Club on Middle Ridge Road in Lorain, Amherst area and I also shoot skeet at the Erie County Conservation League in Sandusky on Rt 250.

It was a little hard to get the modern guys to shoot with me, extra noise, all the smoke and at stations 4 & 5 I tend to slow down the loading process with everyone shooting only 2 shots. Now I find more people want to shoot with me and have even tried the muzzies. I need at least 3 other shooters to keep up a reasonable pace. I always hear people say how slow the flinter ignition can be, but I do break Hi 8 & Lo 8 before it crosses the center stake and I do it with a low-gun, not mounted like the modern shooters. It quickly changs their minds.

I'm going back to Katy, Texas for waterfowl hunting with the BlackPowder Waterfowlers. We only shoot the muzzle loaders. If per chance a modern gun shows, he/she is only allowed a maximum of 2 shells in their gun and only 2 ¾ inch shells allowed. And then they have to wait for the other shooters to go first. We definitly try to handicap them as much as possible. :yes: With a trip that far most of us have extra firearms with us and we will offer them up in place of the modern. We have had a couple people opt for the change. Show them how to load and let the smoking begin.

We don't even come close to our limits (20+ /day on Snows) but we have a great time.

Smokepole
Smokepole
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 pm

I personally think that is cool as hell, and you guys go down and bust snows up with em and all, very cool, Sandusky is only about 45 mins. east of me

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Smokepole » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:31 am

As promised pictures from my last hunt.

Smokepole
Smokepole
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting