Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lake erie duck hunting

7K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  mallardman36 
#1 ·
Hi im from clinton , which is 40 min south of clevlend and im looking for info on how to hunt the lake , are ther any public places,,, i have a dog but no boat big enuff to take out ther,, is ther shore hunting at all ? thanks guys roy

#3 ·
If ther are any guys who are willing to swap hunting knowledge on our PUBLIC waters let me know , i hunt killbuck marsh allot, i can help u out,,,, unfortunatly i had 6 days off work since march so i didnt get much time to scout lake erie . The way some guys act about public land id sure pitty a new hunter trying to learn our passion. Sometimes a simple freindly question is just that and it dont require rude comments. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
There are multiple ways to research public hunting grounds in any area. If someone wants to post hard found, productive public land on the internet then they deserve to show up and find you and your buddies, and then their buddies, buddies there.

Finding and scouting spots IS the burden of the new guy - it goes with the sport. I help plenty of newbies but guess I'm rude enough to not post things like this on the world wide web.

So where are the best spots at Killbuck?

#5 ·
Hi are u in my area? If u were intrested in hunting killbuck im always looking for someone to go , im not sayin i have the best spots but ive put allot of years in hunting ther, ther are lots of birds , tho until bout this time year when the sky busters stay home its hard , cuz even if u get birds working they will pass shoot at the birds u had on the string,, but now its generally good hunting cuz u have mainly real duck hunters ther.

#7 ·
I know...that's why my first post was really my suggestion! :yes: I think the only way you can legitimately understand a spot(s), and everything that goes with it is if you have seen it and walked it. Erie shoreline is a real estate premium and so are the public hunting spots in and around it. Heck, the private leases are hard to get.

Between Google Earth and State Maps you can pretty much isolate a 1/2 dozen areas from the comfort of home and then find time to go look at 'em to see if they work. If you're only 40 minutes away...consider yourself lucky!

I hear ya on the public grounds and elmer fudds. The best way I know to fix that is spend the time finding out-of-the-way areas to hunt even if they are not quite as productive (sometimes they have less birds but you shoot more because of no competition). They exist but take work and time to find...and when you find one - don't tell a soul or you'll find elmer there with his buddies in short order.

Any guy can pull up in the center of the public marsh parking lot - and many do. It takes time (and money) to find good public spots...and know that MANY of those skybusters (guys that are idiots afield) scour internet pages cyberscouting for their next 'new' spot to ruin for you and me.

If you make time you will find what you are after.

#8 ·
So true man,, ive only been duck hunting for bout 9 years tho i wouldnt count the first couple , because i didnt have a clue what i was doing and i had no freinds who duck hunted so me and a buddy set forth to learn,,,, ther were a few older guys we meet at killbuck who kinda helped us learn decoys and such,, but it wasnt until i learned that shooting at tree top level birds was stupid and i got serious about it,, so now im the stinking opposite i think,, i find myself liking to work the birds sooooo much i pass on many chances to shoot, its just something about a flock of birds locked up and ther wings bent into a bow twisting and turniong that i really dont care to shoot, really makes my buddies on edge cuz i wont shoot lol. Actually find myself not getten my limits cuz i will wait to long and think ohh they will circle one more time lolnope!!!! they dont. But oh well duck hunting for me is working the birds and learning what they all are by how they fly, so im not a great hunter, but i love our sport, and i respect other hunnters working birds ,,, and i enjoy watching them work the birds also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.