South Zoners

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

South Zoners

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 am

Guys - start doing your rain dance and favorite jig for some cold weather up north! Season is coming and it's still too much like September out there!!!
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: South Zoners

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Tell me about it. 1st of December and it is pretty balmy outside. I have been hunting in Michigan up till now and this weather has been absolutely worthless. Last Wednesday I think was the first snow we had. Keeping my fingers crossed that things up there chill down before I head to SW Ohio for December.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Amen man. Heck...I hunted a north zone wetland this weekend...when the front came through, cloudy, windy..some driving flurries at sunrise and saw two whole ducks all day! And that was at 7:55 am.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:44 am

well the forecast calls for temps in the 30's for the rest of the week and they say snow is coming. Hopefully the cold is here for good this time. Could work out well if the winter weather hits now and pushes all those birds down at the same time.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:58 am

Sure am hoping the same...be interesting to see. Of course, not to be pesimistic but I have seen years where it gets too cold too fast and all the water freezes right away, especially the shallow stuff where I hunt! :rolleyes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:41 am

Only time will tell how it is going to work out, but my fingers are crossed about as tight as they will go :lol3:

A quick freeze up would be bad for about 90% of the places I hunt but I have a few corn fields to hit should the water lock up.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Ohio Wildfowler » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:03 pm

It is looking like the north zone around Grand Lake ST.Marys is pretty much a bust for this year with the cold moving in and the lake starting to ice yesterday and today and lack of northern birds. I am looking forward to the south zone hunting as it has been better the last couple of years due to weather conditions anyhow. Another plus is I don't have to get up as early and drive for an hour to get there. :biggrin: :yes: :lol:
Tim

DU Committee (Miami County)

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow.

There is always a need for speed with steel shot
Ohio Wildfowler
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Well boys...not exactley the small water/marshland opener I was looking for weather wise!!! Let's hope this huge front stimulates some duckies on down our way and we get 45 degrees and a little more rain through December. :yes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting