Moving to Columbus

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Moving to Columbus

Postby maramarama » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 am

I am moving to Columbus this month, how is the duck hunting in Ohio? I have hunted Utah and Idaho, rivers marsh and the great salt lake. I am set up for layout spreads of divers or hunting in cover and small water for dippers.

Looking forward to next season to learn a new area.
maramarama
hunter

Re: Moving to Columbus

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Wellll...it ain't like Utah or Idaho - that is for sure. Sink boats are prohibited as well. Lay-out craft OK. Biggest factor is weather...how wet in the 1st half and how warm/cold in the 2nd. Field hunting geese is productive late if you have some good private corn/bean to hunt.

Do you have a dog?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:32 pm

What he said. You're gonna miss Idaho.
It's all true, as far as I know.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Botiz630 wrote:What he said. You're gonna miss Idaho.

I was actually speaking for you on the field hunting. :yes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm

I figured, that is what saved me this season. It was pretty ugly till the geese started hitting my field. :beer:
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm glad I checked the regs this am...I had forgotten the limit drops to 1 now. :no:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I'm glad I checked the regs this am...I had forgotten the limit drops to 1 now. :no:

Where you seeing that? I just double checked the DNR website and it says 2 from Dec. 12 - Jan. 31.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 pm

lol...sorry for the alarm - you're right. I read it wrong...was looking at the Brant limit. :rolleyes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm

HNTFSH wrote:lol...sorry for the alarm - you're right. I read it wrong...was looking at the Brant limit. :rolleyes:

whew, you had me scared there :lol3: . 2 still isn't enough, though.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby maramarama » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Brant is something new for me. That will be fun. How hard are the farmers to get to know and let you hunt?

Thanks for the input.
maramarama
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:09 am

Hard - just like everywhere else.

Most property owners have been soured by deer hunters who completely screwed up the sanctity of hunting someones land. Be it bowhunters constructing stand illegally on private property or the 'army of orange' who show up in mass of 500,000 one week a year for the deer gun season largely disregarding property lines, good manners or respect for anyone else. In addition, the landowner gets tired of 'managing' the additional hunters a guy WITH permisson brings...and then of course - the guests feel THEY can bring THEIR buddies, and on it goes. So unfortuately...to many...a hunter is a hunter and the risk/reward says 'No".

Columbus in particular has a high density of weekend warriors so the 50 miles radius has been trodden upon.

In terms of fields...and I think Botiz would agree...location, location, location. It's gonna take you a year or two of seeing where birds are and what fields they tned to use before it's worth the windshield time to seek permission. I would just about guarantee you that a field worth hunting is a field that has someone hunting it already.

The good news is there's opportunity...it will just take time and gas and lots of zero's to add to your spots one at a time.

Do you have a dog?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 am

x2. In Ohio, the most important thing is being where the birds are. I know that is important wherever you hunt, but more so here because there are just not that many around. If you have not done your homework, don't bother going. Like he mentioned, the Buckeye State seems to have more hunters than available land and game - especially around Columbus - you are going to have a difficult time finding a spot that has not been found by someone else. That does not mean it won't happen. The difference is how willing you are to make it happen. It will take a couple years of living in the area before you get a feel for how the birds around here behave. Keep your eyes open and don't dismiss any possibility till you have thoroughly explored it. Being successful in Ohio requires recognizing opportunities that others may overlook. Find the birds, find where they go, learn their patterns. I have found that most public areas are not worth the time. The big lake near me here in the SW part of the state (won't take you long to figure out what lake I am talking about) is absolutely abused by hunters all year. The birds get hammered and the few that actually stick around are more educated than I am.

You mentioned you are set up for divers? If you have experience hunting on big water, you may want to look into Lake Erie. A bit of a drive from Columbus, I have never hunted it but the guys I know who do can clean up when conditions are right. You may want to look into that.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby maramarama » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks, I do have a dog and am trying to figure out how to move her. I have been excited about hunting lake erie. I don't mind driving a few hours for a hunt. I have a layout boat and will need to find a bigger one to hall decoys. I

I am going to miss the marshes out here.
maramarama
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:37 pm

If you train year round and would like to get together when you get here...lemme know.

Lake Erie can be good but it is prime waterfowling real estate with a lot of guys up there that know the area. It's a 3 am departure from Columbus.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 am

There are two reseivores near Columbus,Deleware and alum Creek.I've talked to guys that do good at times, no personal experience.I hunt Indian Lake a lot which is about 1 hour north,if the water doesn't get hard the second half can be good.Some guys use layouts sucessfully.The first half is all locals and they get smart quick.As far as Lake Erie goes,if you've got a tender to go with that layout your gonna love Sandusky Bay.Overall your not gonna get the kind of shooting your used to.Good luck!Feel free to pm.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting