Versitilty for more ducks

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Versitilty for more ducks

Postby ohio mike » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Layout boats cool ,boat blinds great,permanet blinds wonderful,field hunting exciting.Everybody in Ohio knows our Waterfowl hunting is spotty at best.One of the most under utilized forms of hunting we have is float hunting.There are hundreds of miles of streams and thousands of ducks just begging to be hunted.Mostly Woodies but teal,mallards,and geese too.All you need is a canoe or jon boat.A electric motor is nice but not necessary.A dog is real handy but not necessary either.As a bonus you can shoot squirrels to fill in the dead times.You can even take along a rod for crappie and smallmouth.Whats really great is you hardly ever see another hunter.Early season is the perfect time,after opening week when all the local ducks are spooky,or gone.Guess what if you float near the areas you hunt you just might find where they went.think about it.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Re: Versitilty for more ducks

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:01 am

I have thought about this many times, even tried it once. I just don't understand the regulations about where you can and cannot do this. Also, I have always been worried that I would float through someone's spread. I try to stay away from anything that might result in me disturbing someone else's hunt. I agree that this can be effective, but to me what is special about duck hunting is setting up over decoys and working birds.
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 am

I float a few times a year and it is fun.

Agreed though that state regulations and private property are issues. You cannot legally climb out of a canoe and grab a duck on shore in most spots. Rivers and streams with access points are highly patrolled for this reason. You can also pass through boundaries where it is unsafe to shoot (homes, barns, livestock) and also come across people wade fishing, etc. It typically requires 2 vehicles as well - launch and pick-up points. Generally only one person can shoot at a time (lead guy in front of canoe). And - you prolly ought to leave the doig at home and I hate that.

Now all that hassle stated - Mike - you're right! There is a lot of opportunity for birds and if considering floating - being creative as to how and where you do it can be great fun. :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:14 am

I usually hunt small streams and almost never run across fishermen.Also 85% of my ducks fall in the water,the few that don't I just send the dog for.HNT/FSH you miss a golden oppurtunity not taking the dog.I probably get more actual use out of a dog floating then I do out of a blind,those steep banks are murder on us old guys.Also most guys that don't want you on their land have signs up.I used to float hunt with a warden that didn't have a problem with the process.A very good way to hunt with one vehicle is to use a electric motor.A little known fact in Ohio is you Can use a electric motor to hunt small game other then waterfowl.I float one way for ducks(downstream)then motor back up and shoot squirrels,or fish or both.With ducks only the guy in front can usually shoot, with squirrels you can jockey the boat so its safe for either.The labs that I've floated with learn to mark squirrels very quick and really enjoy it.I don't eat squirrel myself very often,but don't have any trouble giving it away.Doves are another good possibility,but more on this later,gotta keep this Ohio thing going.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am

ohio mike wrote:I usually hunt small streams and almost never run across fishermen.Also 85% of my ducks fall in the water,the few that don't I just send the dog for.HNT/FSH you miss a golden oppurtunity not taking the dog.I probably get more actual use out of a dog floating then I do out of a blind,those steep banks are murder on us old guys.Also most guys that don't want you on their land have signs up.I used to float hunt with a warden that didn't have a problem with the process.A very good way to hunt with one vehicle is to use a electric motor.A little known fact in Ohio is you Can use a electric motor to hunt small game other then waterfowl.I float one way for ducks(downstream)then motor back up and shoot squirrels,or fish or both.With ducks only the guy in front can usually shoot, with squirrels you can jockey the boat so its safe for either.The labs that I've floated with learn to mark squirrels very quick and really enjoy it.I don't eat squirrel myself very often,but don't have any trouble giving it away.Doves are another good possibility,but more on this later,gotta keep this Ohio thing going.

I hear ya - and thinking the being creative part is as much about the water then too. I have float hunted with a buddy (he has the canoe) but the water we hit is a little faster moving than I think what you're describing. Between the guys and the gear...there's no room for the dog. :yes:

Now a piece of water where a guy can go solo, take the dog (and use the electric motor) peacefully chunking up and down the stream sounds pretty good. I might pass on the squirrels though...last ones I ate were cooked in rain water over a campfire with a ketchup pack from McDonalds as BBQ sauce. Haven't eaten any since. :yes:

I usually buy-up the Steel Dove loads if I see them cheap just for this type of hunt since lead in your boat while waterfowling, even under the purest of intentions, will get ya busted.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:06 am

HNTFSH wrote: I might pass on the squirrels though...last ones I ate were cooked in rain water over a campfire with a ketchup pack from McDonalds as BBQ sauce.

Haha, sounds like there is a story behind that statement. That would definitely keep me away from squirrels too, although I never cared for them much anyway.
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
HNTFSH wrote: I might pass on the squirrels though...last ones I ate were cooked in rain water over a campfire with a ketchup pack from McDonalds as BBQ sauce.

Haha, sounds like there is a story behind that statement. That would definitely keep me away from squirrels too, although I never cared for them much anyway.

Smart man. While I cannot provide details, it was many years ago and there was an entire weekend to be had in the woods living off the land. There may have been Cannabis involved.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting