How Late is Too Late?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

How Late is Too Late?

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 am

Hey Guys,

I will be home from school on Easter weekend and I was thinking about throwing some wood duck boxes up on my pond. I know that earlier would probably have been better, but will I just be wasting my time with this project? I have not been home since Dec. or I would have put them in already. This is the earliest opportunity I have and I was just wondering what you guys thought.

So should I do it or find something else to do with my time that weekend?
Do a barrel roll.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Re: How Late is Too Late?

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Botits - it is probably a bit late but often times it takes a year or so before a woodie will use a box. So...if you look at it that way - you'd be right on schedule. :thumbsup: Location and anti-predation construction are the most important factors.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Botits - it is probably a bit late but often times it takes a year or so before a woodie will use a box. So...if you look at it that way - you'd be right on schedule. :thumbsup: Location and anti-predation construction are the most important factors.

Yeah, this whole thing was inspired by the wood duck box plans that DU just put up on their website. Now that I think about it, I would be much better off building a platform for say mallards to nest on. We get plenty of those on our pond. Still probably too late for that though.
Do a barrel roll.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:56 pm

You might still get a hit. They've been acting silly for a couple weeks now in central Ohio but it doesn't all happen at once. Just today saw a hen nesting up in a Buger King drive through (landscape). Now that is confidence. :yes:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:03 pm

The woodys are just starting to show up here in n.w.Ohio so your not to late but get busy or you will be.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting